NOS4A2[NOS4A2][Paperback] by JoeHill

NOS4A2[NOS4A2][Paperback] (edition 2013)

by JoeHill (Author)

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photography, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it's across Massachusetts or across the country. Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing--and terrifying--playground of amusements he calls "Christmasland." Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble--and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx's unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He's on the road again and he's picked up a new passenger: Vic's own son.… (more)
Member:EsotericCOHMeet
Title:NOS4A2[NOS4A2][Paperback]
Authors:JoeHill (Author)
Info:WilliamMorrow&Company (2013)
Collections:Literary Cemetery Book Club
Rating:*****

Work Information

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

It by Stephen King (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Malevolent entities that prey upon children are the driving force of these creepy, suspenseful horror stories. In both novels, only adults lucky enough to escape the villain's clutches in childhood are later able to battle the evil when it returns.… (more)
    The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: Well: Time-traveling serial killer powered by unexplained forces. You'll see the comparison in many reviews. Shining Girls gets a more mixed reaction, and is unconventional in its structure and uncomfortable violence, but is worth looking into for fans. (The audiobook is fantastic, with a full cast of readers for every character.)… (more)

English (270)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (273)
I devoured this novel. I think there is something so deviously enticing about someone whose thoughts on everyone else are not rooted in reality. All women who deny him are wh*res. All parents are ab*sive. Anyone who isn't with him is against him. ( )
  battlearmanda | Nov 30, 2021 |
Is there anything more horrific to a parent than the thought of losing a child to a kidnapper? At least for me, that's pretty much the most dreadful think I can think of. Hill has created a masterwork of horror fiction that takes the kidnapping concept and builds it into something terrifying and huge. I don't want to rehash the plot or give anything away.

I will say that it reads like it was heavily influenced by Stephen King which makes sense since horror writers often cite King's influence, and also he is Hill's dad. Hill says that the story was influenced by his mother, Tabitha. So now I wonder if maybe Stephen King is also influenced by Tabitha? Maybe she's the real talent behind this whole operation, I don't know. I liked this better than King, though. Since Joe Hill is much closer in age to me, I get all kinds of great pop culture references that are relevant (shoutout to Amanda Palmer, Neil Gaiman books at the library) to me instead of feeling like I'm reading something written for my dad.

And can I just say? Thank you, THANK YOU for a librarian character who is interesting and important and not just a bespectacled shusher. I'll let it slide that it's highly unlikely that she could have gotten her MLS by age 20 and therefore was probably was not officially a librarian when she first met the main character. I'm letting it go because anytime there's such a love song to books and libraries and the people that curate them it warms my heart. Hill loves books and libraries and it shows.

Anyway, if you read horror, you should probably read this.

readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
This is the book that could start leading people to call Stephen King "Joe Hill's Dad".

NOS$A2 is a tense and, at times, chillingly terrifying novel that focuses on two "creatives" who turn their thoughts into reality in different ways. There's Charlie Manx, an old, deranged fellow who abducts children to take to "Christmasland", a world in which it's always Christmas. Or at least a version of Christmas as he imagines it. He drives an old Rolls Royce Wraith with supernatural powers bearing the titular license plate.

The other creative, the book's hero, is Victoria McQueen, who as a child learns how to summon a bridge to wherever she needs to go.

The two accidentally cross paths when Victoria is a teenager, and things do not go well.

Most of the story takes place several years after their first meeting, and is extremely well executed. The characters, supporting and primary, are fully realized and the story is compelling.

Kate Mulgrew performs the audiobook, and she is astonishing. Mulgrew creates distinct, interesting characters, and captures the tone of the book perfectly. This may well be the best audiobook performance I have ever heard.

Hill is Stephen King's son. He writes horror. So, comparisons are inevitable. But this time, Hill seems to be challenging the old man. Hill actually has the audacity to set NOS4A2 in King's universe, making sly, passing references to King's works. If Hill were not already an accomplished author who has proven himself, this might seem foolish. But it works here. And NOS4A2 is as good, or better than, a lot of King's books.

Manx, some scary children, and an assistant who goes by the title "The Gas Mask Man", are all unsettling. Mulgrew's performance really adds an extra layer of spookiness to them.

McQueen is a compelling, multi-dimensional hero. And the supporting characters, from McQueen's son to her child ("Bruce Wayne Carmody")and his father to an FBI agent trying to sort out some very unusual facts, are well done and interesting.

If there's a flaw in the book, it's some stuff right before the ending that doesn't quite sell. But, it's a short hitch before a well done final few pages. But even this is a minor quibble. Hill does such a good job with his characters and the world he's created that my argument with a plot choice or two seems kind of silly.

Charlie Manx, The Gas Mask Man, and the children of Christmasland are the stuff of nightmares, and NOS4A2 is a ride worth taking. ( )
  Joe901 | Nov 2, 2021 |
Wow! Totally blown away by this book. Frankly, I was not expecting this to be this good. Joe Hill seems to be channelling his father here, as I think that I'd've been hard-pressed to identify this book as anything other than a Stephen King novel had I not known the author. Scary, intense book with well-fleshed-out characters.

Audiobook notes - Kate Mulgrew absolutely knocked this one out of the park. I've been a big fan of hers for years, but I had no idea she had such a range of character voices at her disposal. I see that she's also narrating Joe Hill's next one. Sounds like a win-win to me! ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |

Mulgrew, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuck, MaryCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sugden, MaureenCopyeditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Die Todten reiten schnell. (For the dead travel fast.)
-- "Lenore," Gottfried Bürger
To my mom - here's a mean machine for the story queen.
Nurse Thornton dropped into the long-term-care ward a little before eight with a hot bag of blood for Charlie Manx.
What's good stays good no matter how much of a beating it takes.
She breathed deeply of the scent of decaying fiction, disintegrating history, and forgotten verse, and she observed for the first time that a room full of books smelled like dessert:  a sweet snack made of figs, vanilla, glue, and cleverness.
But everyone also lives in the world inside their own head. An inscape, a world of thought. In a world made of thought--in an inscape--every idea is a fact. Emotions are as real as gravity. Dreams are as powerful as history.
Christmas was almost three months in the rearview mirror, and there was something awful about Christmas music when it was nearly summer. It was like a clown in the rain, with his makeup running.
She thought of mothering, which was really another word for being present and caring what happened to someone.

AR Level 5.7; 31 Points
NOS4A2 is
the perfect antidote for
Christmas craziness
(SENSpence)

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,415,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible