Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

Emperor of Thorns

by Mark Lawrence

Series: The Broken Empire (3)

I enjoyed the first book in this series, having an anti-hero lead isn't totally new but was still novel enough to be interesting. The second book dragged a bit. The third … I couldn't finish. Not because I cringed away from violence etc, but because I found it really boring. I'd pick it up and read a few paragraphs then put aside for another month. Finally today I gave up and read some spoilers online so I'd know how it ended. The book seems popular with other people, so don't let me stop you! But I didn't like it. ( )
  Griffin22 | Jul 27, 2018 |
The last in the Broken Empire trilogy, we’ve followed Jorg down a dark and bloody path. Here, we see the end.
Jorg has never hidden his ambition or his desire to rule over all. In this book, he sets out to use all his cunning and ruthlessness to achieve it. But the Dead King – the Dead King is coming.
As with the previous, we see the split time – following Jorg via the present and the past. Lawrence uses a deft hand, taking the reader from the past to the present, interweaving the stories.
The ending – no spoilers – but many people didn’t like it. However, I found it perfect for the story. It ended the journey in the only way it could, with redemption. This story, ultimately, was about redemption, about taking the sorry and death and suffering of the past and making it matter.
This is a fantastic series, worth reading. It is bloody and dark, to be sure, but that is what makes it the story that it is. ( )
  empress8411 | Jun 18, 2018 |
This review and others posted over at my blog.

As usual, Lawrence has crafted an addicting read that I finished the book in two days. While I still don’t like Jorg (maybe I don’t hate him, but I certainly wasn’t rooting for him!), I had to know how his story ended.

Per the other two books, there are flashbacks from Jorg’s prior travels and this time, instead of diary entries from Katherine, we get interludes from Chella, everyone’s favorite necromancer (Necromancress? Lady necromancer? Necrowomancer?)

And per the other two books, this timeline/layout did confuse me here and there. Despite Jorg’s flashback chapters labeled “Five Years Earlier” I still managed to forget which version of Jorg I was reading about. Overall, I’m glad we got a look at his past and I usually enjoy non-linear stories, but something about this series didn’t click. Maybe because there’s so much history, world building and battles, that it made it harder to keep track? I’m not sure how else he could have done it, but it’s worth noting that it tripped me up on several occasions.

For a while, I did wonder why we needed the five-year flashback in this story, but it pays off in the end. Lawrence had a lot to tie together and I think he pulled it off pretty well (though I can’t guarantee that I didn’t already forget details, despite reading this series in a fairly timely manner.) The ending was perhaps a bit muddled, but it answered all my outstanding questions. Well, mostly.

I can’t say I 100% understand how the technology and magic of this world have come to be. It was definitely explained, but I definitely didn’t absorb it. I mean, I get the basic idea and had I given it more brainpower, it probably would have made more sense. I still love the concept though and I want to know more about the different kingdoms. I’m excited to read the other series that takes place in this world (The Red Queen’s War) and hopefully meet more characters, especially the ones who seem sorta godlike.

I won’t really talk about the plot. I will say, while I wasn’t thrilled with the ending, it made some sense to me. I also appreciate Lawrence’s “Afterthought” which talks about why he ended the series the way he did. That makes a lot of sense and even before reading it I understood his reasoning.

If you enjoy the foul-mannered, violent, stubborn Jorg (who, admittedly, does have significant growth over the course of the trilogy) and the world Lawrence created, I think this is a worthy end to the trilogy and that you’ll likely enjoy it. Now to read more of his work! ( )
  MillieHennessy | Jun 10, 2018 |
Review later on my blog... ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
well, my actual rating is something between 3.5 and 4, and to my opinion the second book is still the best book among the three.

This sequel like the previous two has the unique way that Lawrence tells the story.Going back to the past and then understanding now, but for me the chapters that was written in past times were too much. I prefer maybe more mystery, more dark points in present,....

And the ending was far from what I liked.To me it was a happy ending which wasn't suited this trilogy ever.

After all, I enjoyed reading this trilogy a lot, and am waiting for next book 'Prince of Fools'.

And Of course, Jorg became one of those books characters that I miss a lot. ( )
  ardvisoor | Sep 14, 2015 |
Emperor of Thorns is so beautifully written and imagined that it is inconceivable to me that any fantasy reader could not find something about it to enjoy. This book is so well written and has so many lines and paragraphs of astounding beauty, clarity, and grace that I had to put it down many times just to absorb what was written and enjoy the moment
added by pw27 | editGrimdark Reader, Phil Witvliet (Jan 14, 2014)

Mark Lawrenceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clamp, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my son, Bryn
Kai stood before the old-stone, a single rough block set upright in the days when men knew nothing but wood and rock and hunting.

Desiring to be emperor of the Broken Empire, young King Jorg Ancrath of the seven nations must face an adversary standing in his way, a necromancer unlike any he has ever challenged -- a figure hated and feared even more than himself: the Dead King.

Mark Lawrence is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,862,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible