Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

Emperor of Thorns

by Mark Lawrence

Series: The Broken Empire (3)

Review later on my blog... ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
well, my actual rating is something between 3.5 and 4, and to my opinion the second book is still the best book among the three.

This sequel like the previous two has the unique way that Lawrence tells the story.Going back to the past and then understanding now, but for me the chapters that was written in past times were too much. I prefer maybe more mystery, more dark points in present,....

And the ending was far from what I liked.To me it was a happy ending which wasn't suited this trilogy ever.

After all, I enjoyed reading this trilogy a lot, and am waiting for next book 'Prince of Fools'.

And Of course, Jorg became one of those books characters that I miss a lot. ( )
  ardvisoor | Sep 14, 2015 |
Anti-hero all the way. In each of the proceding volumes this whole time I've been torn between deciding that the main character is a villain or a hero. He's the bad guy killing worse guys and saving the world (or trying to).

I started reading this about 10:30PM Sunday night. Terrible decision since I then had to stay up till 4AM to finish it. With 2 1/2 hours of sleep I actually managed to do just fine on Monday.

I would only recommend this book to people who really like Fantasy or pretty dark works of fiction. ( )
  Chris_El | Mar 19, 2015 |
I enjoyed greatly seeing Jorg’s journey from child to man and all his adventures in between. Although I’m sad to see this series come to an end, I have to applaud Mark Lawrence for the genius that was the end of this book/series. He gave Jorg, the anti-hero, the perfect, surprising, and well-deserving end he deserved… But… Emperor of Thorns wasn’t a perfect book nor my favorite in the series, that spot still belongs to first book, Prince of Thorns.

I recommend this series to open minded fantasy fans.

BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Were I able to give this book ten stars I would!

I appreciated Lawrence's overview in the beginning of this book. I have never known an author to give a summary of the previous novels to ensure their readers were starting off on the right foot.
Now let's talk about Jorg. To see the progress he has made since Prince of Thorns is amazing. He continues to take impossible odds and turn them in his favor in some of the most unpredictable ways. He is smart, brutally honest and fierce when protecting his family. With the amount of crap he went through in his life, I am amazed he turned out to be a man I admired. Yes he was cruel, he broke the rules, but he did what needed to be done no hesitation and i grew to admire him. Lawrence is an extremely talented author to have created such a complex, intriguing character.
Now as for the cruelty part...I can always depend on Lawrence to add a healthy dose of disturbing images in his novels. Sometimes I just want dark and gritty which the broken empire never fails to deliver. This one actually turned my stomach a few times. I do have to say though, at some points I couldn't help but laugh with Jorg's witty comebacks as he caused mayhem.
I am sad to see Jorg's story arc come to an end. He is a character I will never forget ( )
  Letora | Feb 7, 2015 |
Emperor of Thorns is so beautifully written and imagined that it is inconceivable to me that any fantasy reader could not find something about it to enjoy. This book is so well written and has so many lines and paragraphs of astounding beauty, clarity, and grace that I had to put it down many times just to absorb what was written and enjoy the moment
added by pw27 | editGrimdark Reader, Phil Witvliet (Jan 14, 2014)

Mark Lawrenceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clamp, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my son, Bryn
Kai stood before the old-stone, a single rough block set upright in the days when men knew nothing but wood and rock and hunting.

Desiring to be emperor of the Broken Empire, young King Jorg Ancrath of the seven nations must face an adversary standing in his way, a necromancer unlike any he has ever challenged -- a figure hated and feared even more than himself: the Dead King.

Mark Lawrence is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,937,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible