Ascension Point by Dan Harris

Ascension Point

by Dan Harris

1051,299,547 (4.33)None

This was a very well written Science Fiction novel. Like most first novels there is a lot of character development that really gets you attached to the characters. This book sets the scene for the rest of the books and I can't wait to see where the story goes from here. I really enjoyed this book! ( )
  spacechick365 | Jun 10, 2014 |
The first chapter almost turned me away from this book, but I'm glad I kept on reading. Very enjoyable reading, although there could be a bit more details to flesh out the story. ( )
  Guide2 | Feb 20, 2014 |
Ascension Point is a well written and entertaining science fiction novel with all the ingredients of classic space opera - ancient and extinct races, galactic war, implacable enemies and amazing future technology. Yet despite this the story focuses less on the conflict (which takes up less than a quarter of the text) and more on the journey of the characters as they get there.

The initial chapters introduce a bewildering assortment of human players and civilisations, and if not read in a single sitting can be a bit overwhelming. Yet once the threads of the characters are woven together the book finds its stride, taking the reader on a breakneck journey through the outer reaches of the galaxy that is well worth reading. ( )
  Will-Hart | Mar 30, 2013 |
Ascension Point is my kind of reading. Four young leaders are gathered together and invited to go on a quest. Each leader represents a different faction of a future humanity: a Titan from a warrior group, a Senator from the Commonwealth, a Seryn with her abilities to read and influence the minds of others, and a Collective, whose rationality is informed by being part of a web of knowledge.

Each is a little different from their fellows in their home group. The warrior must learn compassion; the politician must learn loyalty, the Seryn must learn toughness and the Collective must learn how to sacrifice his individuality. None of their choices are as simple as I describe them: the pleasure of the novel is learning how each must grow in self-understanding and grow together as a group.

The climactic battle is a set-piece and beautifully handled.

Ascension Point is compelling, exciting, well-written and properly edited. It is good science fiction in every way. ( )
  TedWitham | Mar 20, 2013 |
This is a story of humanity in the future who have evolved into different factions with different abilities and goals living in different parts of the galaxy. This story follows 4 individuals, Luc, a titan, Neela, a senator of the commonwealth, Ariadne, an outcast with mental abilities likened to that of witches and Abe, part of a group known as the collective which have evolved as part human part machine, think Star Trek Borg still with free will and not trying to take over the universe. Each characters society believes the others are evil and are something to be afraid of.
The book goes into each of these key characters back story and develops them very well. All four representatives are brought together in a very unique situation by a fifth character and quickly learn they must all work together to save the universe for mankind's survival. As quirky as that sounds, the story is really good. It drew me into the interactions and learning each cultures reprentative needed to do to work together. I won't say any more to give away the story line any further. Very good story, enjoyed it thoroughly. ( )
  scmerritt | Mar 17, 2013 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Dan Harris's book Ascension Point was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Dan Harris is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,467,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible