Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction by Tom…

Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction (original 2001; edition 1991)

by Tom Raabe

Have you ever ... Awakened, the morning after a book-buying spree, unable to remember how many books you bought or how much you spent? Been reprimanded or fired for reading on the job? Had to sit down with your family to discuss your book-buying and reading habits? You are not alone. Your complete recovery awaits you--just buy one more book!… (more)
Member:clamairy
Title:Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction
Authors:Tom Raabe
Info:Fulcrum Publishing (1991), Edition: Later Printing, Paperback, 192 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:***1/2
Tags:EG Library Sale II, Read 2012

Work Information

Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction by Tom Raabe (2001)

The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee (elliepotten)
    elliepotten: The history of bookselling interspersed with personal memoir and insightful observation.
    Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader by Anne Fadiman (generalkala)
    generalkala: More essays regarding habits of book-lovers everywhere!
    Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason by Nancy Pearl (elliepotten)

diagnosis and treatment of print addiction. Getting a book about print addiction is like lighting a pipe to ponder your tobacco habit/
  ritaer | Jun 24, 2021 |
Not bad, but could have been funnier. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
I enjoyed this book overall. It looks at the phenomenon of people being addicted to books: to buying them, owning them and/or reading them...not to mention burying or eating them. It is mostly funny in a "tongue in cheek" kind of way, but occasionally seems to be trying to be more serious. It was fun to read but not great. ( )
  LynnB | Mar 21, 2018 |
PLOT OR PREMISE:
A mixed-tone argument that you can be "addicted" to reading and owning books, with some examples of book hoarders from years-gone-by.
WHAT I LIKED:
There are some really good ""humour"" lists, kind of like a Letterman top ten list for:
- Moving when you have a lot of books;
- A Biblioholic's test (how big is your problem);
- The snobbish Discovery Index (I knew the author when..);
- Reading in restaurants;
- Latin explanations of literary taste: ""De gustibus non est disputandum"" -- Everyone to their own non-disputable tastes; and,
- Ten Commandments for the Book Handler.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
The author can't seem to decide what the book is -- a light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek ode to book hoarders everywhere or a serious tome about an actual mental illness. The book starts out with a light-hearted look at those who feel an overwhelming urge to buy books i.e. "biblioholics". By the end, however, he treats it like a real mental illness that requires awareness and treatment. Either approach could work, but bouncing between one and the other wears out really fast. Perhaps this would have been better as a collection of small articles for a small newspaper, and even then, in dire need of an editor to give it better focus and less repetition. But even in a series of newspaper articles, I suspect the reader would tire of the subject matter very quickly -- the metaphor is dragged out far past its prime.
BOTTOM-LINE:
Well-researched, but yawn…
DISCLOSURE:
I received no compensation, not even a free copy, in exchange for this review. I am not personal friends with the author, nor do I follow him on social media. ( )
  polywogg | Feb 5, 2016 |
BIBLIOHOLISM, by Tom Raabe, is a humorous look at those of us who are “addicted” to books. It contains chapters such as Anatomy Of An Addiction, Bibliomaniacs And Bibliophiles, We Are What We Buy, and Variants Of The Disease.
I was mostly amused during my reading of this book, seeing parts of me described in print, but sometimes I actually learned something new. Mr. Raabe often uses words I needed to look up, so I have to give him credit for both entertaining and teaching me.
If you are a fellow biblioholic you will enjoy this book. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |

Tom Raabeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, Craig McFarlandIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mom and Dad
(Preface by Marlene Blessing): When Tom Raabe's humorous look at the passion -- no make that obsession for finding, reading, and collecting books was first published a decade ago, the landscape of book publishing and bookselling was in flux, but still a recognizable place.
Do you have a bookstore problem?

In this humorous confession Tom Raabe addresses the problems of book addiction and offers sympathy to fellow biblioholics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,668,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible