The Runaway King (2013)

by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Young King Jaron has taken the throne of Carthya, but after enemies attempt to assassinate him, and a neighboring kingdom threatens invasion, he finds that he has no friends in the palace, not even his bride-to-be, princess Amarinda--and his regents think it would be better for Carthya if he just disappeared again.… (more)

While this book didn't grab me as much as the first book in the series I still found it hard to put down. The complex dynamics between characters and the way the story is conveyed from protagonist to reader keeps you guessing what will happen next. While sometimes a bit over the top in terms of realism I really enjoyed this book and hope to finish the trilogy soon. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
Another great read, once started, you can't put it down.

Just weeks after Jaron has taken the throne, an assassination attempt forces him into a deadly situation. Rumors of a coming war are winding their way between the castle walls, and Jaron feels the pressure quietly mounting within Carthya. Soon, it becomes clear that deserting the kingdom may be his only hope of saving it. But the further Jaron is forced to run from his identity, the more he wonders if it is possible to go too far. Will he ever be able to return home again? Or will he have to sacrifice his own life in order to save his kingdom? ( )
  Gmomaj | Oct 16, 2021 |
Back to Imogen again. I actually liked the ending (thought it would be a nice twist) until the expected twist came. I guess it's not really my style. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
King Jaron skips the pomp of a funeral for his parents and brother, only to be ambushed and threatened by his old foe, Roden. Carthya is threatened by neighboring countries, especially the pirates, who had failed to kill him in the first book. He decides he needs to stop the threatened war, and sneaks off, leaving his friend to pretend he is still in the castle to try to thwart the attempt to name a regent. Jaron assumes his alter ego of Sage, and after rescuing a young child in a border town and returning her to the local lord, Sage joins the thieves to get an introduction to the pirates. Once there, he finds an ally, with whom he parted ways unamicably. A suspension of disbelief is necessary as Jaron/Sage escapes a locked cell, climbs a wall, and duels with the pirate king all on a broken leg ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

I had arrived early for my own assassination.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,220,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible