Sex and the Single Fireman

by Jennifer Bernard

There's a hardnosed new training officer in town, and that's bad news for the Bachelor Firemen of San Gabriel . . . But great news for firefighter Sabina Jones . . . maybe. The toughest captain on the East Coast, single father Rick Roman has come thousands of miles to San Gabriel to put an end to the "Bachelor Firemen" media hype. But when a stunning woman he nearly hooked up with in Reno turns out to be a firefighter from his new station, Roman realizes it's going to be tough keeping the tabloids at bay. But there's even more Sabina isn't telling him. Before dedicating herself to battling blazes, Sabina led a very different life, one that made her famous. The last thing she wants is to have her secret exposed. The papers, bloggers, and TV gossips will have a field day with that--expecially when they sense the obvious sexual heat between Sabina and Chief Roman, who's torn between firing her . . . and falling in love with her!… (more)

Summary
Rick Roman, is a single father and is well known for being the toughest captain on the East Coast. When he gets an offer to come to California for a transfer where they need his expertise, Rick is more than willing. He knows that this change will be good not only for himself but for his son as well. Rick's job is to change how the people of San Gabriel view the fire station and the firefighters that work there. His job is to get rid of the title "Bachelor Firemen", in Rick's mind its not professional and is distracting from what they need to be doing...putting out fires. On his drive to San Gabriel, he runs into a woman in Vegas and despite the fireworks between them she runs like a scalded cat. But he puts the incident out of his mind, he has a job to do and the last thing he needs is to be distracted. But he is shocked to discover that same woman he ran into in Vegas is a firefighter under him now. Will wonder never cease and the chemistry between them is explosive and she is untouchable. But when certain truths are revealed about Sabina's past, Sabina and Rick connect when they least expect to and love follows but will they find a way to be together despite how much it is forbidden?
The Hero
Rick Roman, has served as a firefighter back east for the longest time. He lost his wife during the 911 attack in the towers, and she died instantly and he has never been able to forgive himself. Rick has had to raise his son with the help of his parents. Rick has learned to close himself off emotionally, he couldn't afford to risk getting hurt again. Rick is from an Italian family, an excellent cook and has worked hard to be a reliable father and setting the high standard for fire stations and doesn't soften his approach. Rick is quite the hoot in this book, and I fell for his character quite instantly. I loved how firm he is and doesn't back down from what he believes in. He is the type of hero you would want as a husband...reliable, hard working, sexy and takes care of his body and has a commanding presence. He loves to cook, is a loving father and quite loyal. In this book, we see his character really shine and he adds that balance that is needed.
The Heroine
Sabina is hiding out from the world. Sabina grew up the daughter of an actress and joined her mother up until she was seventeen in the acting business and was quite talented at it. Being beautiful and graceful she made a good name for herself and could have had an explosive career. But then she had an inspiration and decided that acting just wasn't for her. She wanted to make a difference, and she and her mother argued and fought and Sabina left. Her mother refusing to talk to her for years. Now she has a different identity, she is talented at hiding who she really is and went through the training of becoming a firefighter. She loves what she does and has worked hard to become one of the team and be accepted by the other in San Gabriel. Sabina is fiery and passionate, she wants to make a difference and help others and I really admired how she was willing to change her life around to do something she loved and believed in. She is protective and quite good at what she does. I liked Sabina quite a bit because of her determination and resilience.
Plot and Story Line
Sex and the Single Fireman is a sensational read and I just got my jolly's off reading this one. So much humor and romance and fun times I just couldn't put this one down. I was hooked from the beginning, and with each book the series just gets better and better. This is the third book and what a ride it was. There were so many little things that combined together made for a fantastic read. I first want to mention the team of firefighters or known as the 'bachelors of San Gabriel'. They are quite unique and they have this close bond and commadarie that I just couldn't get enough of. What became the most admirable about this was seeing the friendship between everyone. The romance between Rick and Sabina is quite explosive especially at the beginning.

"We didn't know if there were any sparks between us. So we tried a kiss to find out if we had chemistry."

"And?"

"And there wasn't. Not like..."

"Like what?" he asked in a low growl, demanding she finish her sentence.

"Like...um...like there ought to be." She dropped her gaze, so he knew she'd censored herself.

"That's not what you were going to say."

"You don't know what I was going to say."

"Yes, I do." He stepped close to her and took her head in his hands, tilting it until her eyes caught dancing sparkles from the streetlights. "You meant, there wasn't any chemistry like This."

And he claimed her mouth like a lion claiming his prey.

But then it turns into a form of "forbidden" romance. At first Rick really lights a fire beneath the firefighters and really works them hard. So Sabina likes him but doesn't want to. But through a set of circumstances they end up falling in love with each other. Its very subtle, this is no instant love connection. Their love story takes some time and they build a relationship that isn't an easy road. They go through some rough patches of learning to trust and relying on each other.

There was no way in living hell I was going to watch another fucking pile of concrete take the woman I love

But boy do they make a fabulous team. Then we have the son, he was so fun and I loved how easy going and talkative he is at times. He is so close to his father too and you see that Father and Son bond real close here which was just another highlight to the story. This story really packed a punch, and had everything I need for a sexy firefighter romance. Passion...excitement and laughter!!
The Cover
Such a sensual cover...I really love the pose with the "half naked" look here. I like how flirty but sexy it as at the same time. And the yellow and red is so fiery hot!! LOVE it!!
Overall View
Sex and the Single Fireman is a fiery hot romance that sizzles and burns!! It really drives home the feeling of building love, some quirky characters, steamy passion and overall a fun and flirty romance! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 25, 2019 |
Reviewed for Read Your Writes Book Reviews
www.readyourwrites.blogspot.com

Sex and the Single Fireman is the third book in the Bachelor Fireman series. I didn't read the first two books in the series and had no problem reading this book. I did, however, read the novella and was immediately sold on Jennifer as a writer. Most of the characters in the book are likeable, if not loveable.

Sex and the Single Fireman did not disappoint. Sabina Jones and Rick Roman first meet under unusual circumstances. Another chance meeting leads them to contemplate a one night stand. Well, the one night stand doesn't actually take place, which is a good thing, since it turns out that Rick is Sabina's new boss.

Rick Roman uproots his life in New York for his thirteen-year-old son, Luke. They move from New York to San Gabriel, CA so Luke can play baseball year around. Rick is a good guy with a past no one wants to have. Like many others, he lost the love his life, his wife, Maureen on 9/11. She was also a firefighter and died when the towers collapsed.

Sabina Jones is a strong, independent woman who loves fighting fires. She's also trying to hide from her past. But sometimes, no matter how hard you try, the past comes back and bites you in the butt, when you least expect it. In Sabina's case, her mother wants to put her back in the spotlight.

Neither Rick nor Sabina are looking for love, but that's one of the best parts about a romance book. You gotta love watching the characters fight against something you already know is a losing battle. And boy, when that battle is lost, the aftermath turns out to be nothing but hot. Sex and the Single Fireman is a really good story with multiple storylines going on. You will get drawn into a story that's tragic and touching at the same time. This is a story of love and forgiveness.

FYI - The San Gabriel Fire Station 1 curse is STILL alive and well.

Source: Edelweiss ( )
  ReadYourWrites | Jun 8, 2013 |
Very good book. Rick is a former New York fireman who lost his firefighter wife on 9/11 and is raising his teenage son by himself. He has been hired by the San Gabriel fire department as training officer to get Station 1 back into shape and stop the media nonsense about the Bachelor Firemen curse. He nearly hooks up with a woman in Reno and is stunned to discover on his arrival that she is one of his firefighters. I liked Rick a lot. He is pretty uptight at the beginning with a lot he has to cope with. He's moved from New York to California, so he and his son are dealing with some culture shock. He has to try to stop the fire station's Bachelor Firemen reputation from getting worse. And he has to fight his inappropriate attraction to Sabina. I liked the way that he puts his son's wishes to play baseball ahead of staying in New York where he is comfortable. He has a great relationship with Luke. He comes across as unreasonable at first to the firefighters at the station, as they are unused to his kind of intensity. When the media storm around Sabina breaks out, he wins their approval when he supports her rather than firing her. His biggest challenge is his attraction to Sabina. He wants her a lot but he has two major problems. First, he's her boss, which makes any relationship between them impossible. Second, she is a firefighter and he's already lost one woman he loved in the line of duty. As much as he tries, he is fighting a losing battle. I really liked the way that he respects her abilities as a firefighter and stands up to his boss when her past creates more media problems. I loved watching him get to know her better and try to cope with his growing feelings. He is the strong silent type who doesn't talk about his emotions and this causes so communication problems between him and his son as well as with Sabina. He has to learn to express his feelings and this creates a few funny moments as well. There are some really funny scenes with him starting with his encounter with Sabina in Reno. He also has some incredibly emotional moments such as his rescue of Sabina during a fire and their search for Luke and Carly. Rick has an unusual stress fighting hobby that plays several parts in the book and ultimately aids in the resolution of their romance.

Sabina is an independent feisty woman who has worked hard to get where she is. I really enjoyed hearing her talk about the challenges she faced as a woman in a male dominated profession. She is a former child star who walked away from her fame and her famous mother. She has told no one about her past and has even dyed her hair to distance herself further from her old self. She thinks about a one night stand with the sexy guy she met in Reno, but chickens out at the last minute. She is horrified to discover that he is her new boss and does her best to avoid him. They agree to try to forget what happened but circumstances keep throwing them together. When her mother and her old agent show up and try to get her back into acting, they leak her past in an attempt to force her to cooperate. But Sabina is nothing if not determined and digs in her heels. I love her friendships with her fellow firefighters and the way they support her even as they tease her. Most of all I really enjoyed watching her relationship with Rick grow from adversaries to lovers and more. She had to learn to accept her past and how it contributed to the person she is now without letting it define her. I also liked the way that with maturity she is able to mend her relationship with her mother - who is a piece of work herself.

One of the best things about this series (Bachelor Firemen earlier books) is the way all the characters are portrayed as real people. No one is larger than life or perfect. Everyone has their own issues to overcome, but they are always there to support and help their friends. I loved the appearances by Ryan and Brody as they weighed in on events. All the firefighters were great, but I really enjoyed the substory with Vader and his issues with his girlfriend. I'm looking forward to his book. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Jun 5, 2013 |
With the cover, I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. Funny and well written, this is a contemporary series that I'm going to enjoy reading more about. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,690,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible