Pi in the Sky

by Wendy Mass

Joss, the seventh son of the Supreme Overlord of the Universe, must team up with a human girl to re-create Earth, when the planet is accidentally erased from existence.

Source: Publisher's Weekly
Age Range: 8-12
Evaluation of Quality: This book expresses an unflappable view of human nature as inherently good and unique in the universe.
Assessment of potential use: This book would be a good recommendation to a child who is interested in astrology.
Assessment of appeal to children: Children will find the main character, Joss, relatable and entertaining.
  TAndrewH | Oct 17, 2020 |
This one's silly and fun but also connected to some really cool science. It's different from the usual Wendy Mass stuff.

Joss, the 7th son of the Supreme Overlord of the Universe (and a pie delivery boy) finds himself in a strange situation: to save his best friend, he has to rebuild planet Earth from the very beginning of the solar system. Can he get it done in time?

Grown-up portion of review:

After getting past the cover, I was pretty much disappointed with Wendy Mass's latest novel. The best part was not even part of the story: it was the quotes from famous physicists and astronomers at the beginning of each chapter.

I was excited to read this after loving The Candymakers, but this book was much less dynamic. Flat characters, contrived plot, loose ends hanging out all over the place...it just wasn't as tight as Mass's other work. Pulling in the latest science is a great thought, but it didn't pan out here. ( )
  rhowens | Nov 26, 2019 |
This was a difficult story to get into mainly because the main characters aren't my age. But, I did eventually like Joss and even Annika. The Realms and the discoveries were very interesting. I liked the world building literally... as well as the slight mystery and finding out what everyone was up to. The ending turned pretty sad but then very unexpected. I loved all the quotes! Made me think. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
Well, it's by Mass, so I liked it - her books have been reliably entertaining. But this wasn't my favorite - too superficial, too focused on the action, and the science was too forced. Imo. There were no meaty themes about relationships, or growing pains, or politics, or even the transience of life - though all those ideas were glanced at. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
  lkmuir | Dec 8, 2015 |

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,474,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible