Scaredy Squirrel by Mélanie Watt

Scaredy Squirrel (edition 2009)

by Mélanie Watt (Author)

Member:aspirit
Title:Scaredy Squirrel
Authors:Mélanie Watt (Author)
Info:Scholastic (2009)
Collections:Children's, Home shelves, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:own, paperback, anxiety, non-human POV, routines, children's

Scaredy Squirrel by Mélanie Watt

A joke adventure book. My young reader says "It's a five! Maybe a four." I'm not sure she takes anything but a few laughs away after each reading. The conflicts don't really make sense. The character changes but doesn't learn anything that would be obvious from the beginning to any child who has been outside, ever. The caution of poison ivy is good, I guess. I'm averaging our ratings. ( )
  aspirit | Jul 11, 2019 |
I liked this book because of the creative format in which it was written, the playful illustrations, and the relatable main character. The author didn’t just write the story with straight forward and short sentences, she added charts, lists, and creative illustrations, which added to the meaning of the story. The story was predictable but in the best way possible, causing me to laugh at the illustrations and plot line; I think that is a fantastic reaction for a book to give someone. The writing was engaging, pulling me towards the next page. The illustrations really added to the story, allowing the reader to somehow relate to the monotonous life and fears of a little squirrel. “Scaredy Squirrel” is afraid to leave his home tree which is comfortable and safe. I think this is so relatable as we have all felt at some point or another a fear to leave what is comfortable to us. Overall, this book encourages readers to shake up their normal routines and take a step out of their comfort zone.
  crodge3 | Feb 5, 2019 |
This story is about a squirrel named Scaredy Squirrel. Scaredy Squirrel never wants to leave his home because he is afraid of what will happen when he does. One day the unexpected happens and Scaredy Squirrel must leave his home. These unexpected events or accidents that occur in his life force Scaredy Squirrel outside his comfort zone and force him to explore the world that is outside his front door and that it is okay to explore things where the outcome may be unknown. I liked this book because it helps to see another perspective of how children may be feeling about embarking on new journeys in their life. Kids, including me at some points in my life, are sometimes scared to try new things, and this book may help kids see it is okay to venture outside their comfort zone and embark on new adventures. ( )
  cconsolian | Dec 2, 2018 |
Scaredy Squirrel never leaves his nut tree. It's way too dangerous out there. He could encounter tarantulas, green Martians or killer bees. But in his tree, every day is the same and if danger comes along, he's well-prepared. Scaredy Squirrel's emergency kit includes antibacterial soap, Band-Aids and a parachute.

Day after day he watches and waits, and waits and watches, until one day ... his worst nightmare comes true! Scaredy suddenly finds himself out of his tree, where germs, poison ivy and sharks lurk.

But as Scaredy Squirrel leaps into the unknown, he discovers something really uplifting ... (amazon)
  zahanse1 | Nov 4, 2018 |
A cute story with good lessons about being brave and enjoying the world. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 8, 2018 |

Scaredy Squirrel is afraid to leave his nut tree because of all the dangers, but one day a bee invades Scaredy's nest and he leaps into the unknown.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,407,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible