Sugar by Jewell Parker Rhodes

Sugar (edition 2014)

by Jewell Parker Rhodes (Author)

In 1870, Reconstruction brings big changes to the Louisiana sugar plantation where spunky ten-year-old Sugar has always lived, including her friendship with Billy, the son of her former master, and the arrival of workmen from China.
Member:Lorrennea
Title:Sugar
Authors:Jewell Parker Rhodes (Author)
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2014), Edition: Reprint, 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Historical fiction, Cultural

Sugar by Jewell Parker Rhodes

The first novel we read in class. I heard it as an audiobook. From the first few paragraphs I was captivated and completely drown in. What a well-written novel! Sugar is a little girl who was a freed slave on a sugar plantation. She becomes orphaned due to her mother's death. After visiting Whitney plantation, I know that sugar plantations were the deadliest plantations to work on, no one survived more than 10 years, no matter how older slaves were when they got there. So now this novel is making a lot of sense to me. I see this story as one about a slowly brewing change toward social justice. Sugar's childhood best friend Billy who was the master's son, gradually dissembles the deeply rooted in the south attitudes toward slavery and the "freed" slaves. Billy works very hard with the other workers at the plantation, and along with Sugar, befriends Chinese immegrant workers. Billy has come far ahead from his father because he got to know Sugar who's been by his side through the thick and thin. It is an uplifting story of hope despite the exposed truth about Reconstruction period. ( )
  YUvarova | Dec 7, 2019 |
Although this wasn't my favorite novel we have read this semester, I enjoyed this book. I think it was a good idea to have Sugar narrate it because it shows us readers her perspective as a child during this time. I also liked how Rhodes incorporates the differences in cultures. But even through the differences between the free slaves and the Asian culture that came in, they are both equal and have the same rights. I think this is the major theme of this story. This book taught me a lot. Growing up in southern Louisiana and have visited multiple plantations, this book kind of placed me in the shoes and made me feel like I was there. I think this book was very well written. After watching the interview with Jewell Parker Rhodes, I want to read more of her work. Just her personality and dedication to her writing is amazing. ( )
  deannalowe | Dec 6, 2019 |
I did not like this book. It is basically just about a little girl trying to bring two cultures together. It was boring to me and I was not at all interested. This book took me forever to read because I didn't want to finish it. It seemed like the typical type of book about slavery. It didn't really have its own twist on it. ( )
  hdavis1 | Dec 5, 2019 |
Sugar is a lovely story about a young girl working on a Plantation after slavery. Sugar only 10-years-old lost both parents and feels trapped working in the sugar cane fields all-day. She has to make her own fun by play with Billy who she is forbidden to see. When Chinese workers show up to harvest the sugar cane, every one on the plantation fears them. But not Sugar she sets out on a journey to bring these two groups of people together despite their cultural differences. The ending was sad but overall I liked this story of people coming together and learning cultural differences. I had no idea prior to reading this that Chinese workers were sent to work on plantations. Historical fiction offers new information on history, it's like an enjoyable history lesson in a book. ( )
  Lorrennea | Dec 2, 2019 |
Another moving story. The idea of freedom legally doesn't really necessarily line up with the idea of freedom and BEING FREE, and this book really emphasizes that. Even though the people are free from slavery, they're never really free due to the debt of other things like rent, living expenses, and such. The main character in the story, Sugar, goes through multiple adventures with the plantation owner's son, Billy. The story is moving and shows of history and friendship in a sincere way. It was a great read. ( )
  mavaugh2 | Nov 30, 2019 |
[Starred Review] Rhodes’ book elegantly chronicles the hope of one 10-year-old girl seeking a bigger world in post–Civil War America. When Chinese laborers arrive, Sugar finally believes in a world beyond River Road Plantation. In 1870, five years after the Emancipation Proclamation, many former slaves remain on their plantations.... Rhodes exposes the reality of post–Civil War economics, when freed slaves vacated plantations, leaving former slave masters with a need for labor. ... [The author's] prose shines, reading with a spare lyricism that flows naturally. All Sugar’s hurt, longing, pain and triumph shine through. ... (Historical fiction. 8-12)
added by CourtyardSchool | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 27, 2013)

In 1870 Louisiana, five years after the Thirteenth Amendment outlawed slavery, Sugar is still bound to the crop whose name she shares.... Sugar’s caring guardians and her occasional adventures in the woods are bright spots in her life, but she feels left behind as friends head north. When "Chinamen" are hired to work on the plantation, Sugar’s community feels threatened; however, Sugar’s intuition, curiosity, and spirit move her to befriend the perceived enemy and bring everyone together. Rhodes (Ninth Ward) paints a realistic portrait of the hard realities of Sugar’s life.... Ages 8–12.

Jewell Parker Rhodesprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,162,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible