Zero Waste Home: The Ultimate Guide to…

Zero Waste Home: The Ultimate Guide to Simplifying Your Life by Reducing…

by Bea Johnson

Disappointing. It focused mainly on products, not home systems.

Tried again to like it on audio. Oddly though, the author, in the first page or so, describes her childhood in Provence, the narrator chosen has a clipped British accent. I might have listened a tad more if the accent was French. Downgrading my rating for such stupidity. ( )
  2wonderY | May 15, 2017 |
I liked this book for what it was but I don't feel like it's necessary for someone who wants to reduce waste. In that case just go on her blog. This book consisted of lists and ideas that weren't really fully fleshed out. This book was more like a compilation of her most popular blog posts. Though she explained how she got to the process she uses for whatever routine in her house she doesn't totally cover the benefits. She lays them out like a check list of sorts: reduced cost, less time spent, less exposure to plastics. Yeah but at least explain these benefits. She did mention her husband crunching numbers and confirming they were spending less but nothing much about the other stuff.

I wouldn't suggest purchasing the book unless you want the check lists in one easy to find place. ( )
  Jessika.C | Jun 29, 2016 |
I read the author's blog and find that she constantly challenges my thinking regarding waste. Is she extreme? Yes. Oh yes. And she knows it and admits it, declaring that she sees herself as the experimenter in order to save everyone else the time of figuring it out. So I was pre-disposed to be interested in this book. And...no. Just no. She's a blogger, not a writer or researcher, and it shows. There was a lot more that could have been done here in terms of making the waste reduction argument and setting the call to action and she missed it all in favor of forced alphabetized lists of tips.

But I will say...after years of fruitlessly trying to get my husband interested in reducing our waste, I simply left the book lying around the living room for a few days and...presto! He's remembering to bring the reusable grocery bags and thinking about what we buy at the store. So it serves that purpose. Otherwise? Just read the blog. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
Many asides in this review of a book I wanted to like but felt patronised by.

I did want to like this book and there are some great points in the book (must start knitting that stuffed rug and use my dryer lint in it, if I do enough to use up the lint every time I clean it out that would be a great mark of progress... sorry, an aside that occured to me as I read), but I also felt that she really wasn't living in a world I could as easily.

I'm coeliac (well technically I'm severely gluten intolerant but that sounds faddish, trust me the two-day stomach cramps aren't from my mind) and buying from open bins isn't an option for me, that way cross-contamination and sick lies. It would be the same for most folks with allergies. While it would be nice to live like she does there are also problems with it and I don't think some of her ideas are realistic. I have plans for my clothing and for my wardrove over the next few years and some of them involve slowly wearing more of it, getting rid of the excess and only replacing what I have to (which I expect to be mostly trousers and shoes, knitting my own socks is a for granted moment)

I don't think it's practical and non-wasteful to empty your wardrobe/closet/whatever of clothes you wear, I think it's a better plan to work on methods of storage that ensure roatation and removing those things that don't suit you and passing them on and removing the things that are in bad condition and finding ways of disposing of them that's environmentally sound.

I think that rethinking how we use things and how we dispose of things is a good thing. I honestly would find her a hard friend, sounds like she is an evangelist of her lifestyle to a degree that I would find painful. Good luck to her, she did make me think about some things in my life that need change but I don't think that they would suit everyone.

I found the Happiness Project more inspirational. ( )
1 vote wyvernfriend | Jul 18, 2013 |

Zero Waste Home is a guide to simplified, sustainable living. The author transformed her family's health, finances, and relationships for the better by reducing their waste to an astonishing half litre per year. It's all down to the 5 Rs: Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rot (and only in that order!). Zero Waste Home shows how these key principles can be applied to every area of your house from the kitchen to the kids' room, and it's packed with easy tips for all of us: from buying in bulk and clever meal planning to simply refusing unwanted freebies.

A practical guide for reducing waste in the home offers tools and tips for going "zero waste," discussing how to make cosmetics and cleaning supplies, pack lunches without plastic, and weed out unnecessary appliances. Shows how the author transformed her family's life for the better by reducing their waste to an astonishing 1 liter per year; part practical guide that gives readers tools & tips to diminish their footprint & simplify their lives. -- Publishers Description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,528,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible