The Orb of Truth by Brae Wyckoff

The Orb of Truth

by Brae Wyckoff

I downloaded this book because I heard that it was similar to [b:The Hobbit|5907|The Hobbit|J.R.R. Tolkien|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1372847500s/5907.jpg|1540236]. Well, it does have Elves and Dwarves, and the main character is a halfling. And they go on some kind of quest. I guess that's similar. But [a:J.R.R. Tolkien|656983|J.R.R. Tolkien|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1329870573p2/656983.jpg] was a good writer. [a:Brae Wyckoff|6420295|Brae Wyckoff|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1353277788p2/6420295.jpg], unfortunately, isn't.

I couldn't finish this book. It was painful to read. It really needs a professional editor. The grammar is so wrong I cannot help but wonder if English is Mr. Wyckoff's second language. If so, it is understandable, but I still need some serious editing before I will be able to force myself to read this. ( )
  EstherSpurrillJones | Dec 11, 2017 |
Actual rating: 4.5 (rounded up to 5)

This book was a fun read since it comes to us from an indie author. I liked that it reminded me of a few different books, but had its own feel at the same time. The action was believable, and I could follow it without having to take long greats to google things.

One thing that I thought about a lot with this book was that if this book ever became a best seller I could see readers wanting to own a box of their own. I think that is a super fun things for authors to add in their books, a way for readers to connect to things and everything. So, that tangible part of it was really intriguing to me!

I felt that there were some little things that the author could expand upon or make a little better, but as a fellow indie author I know what it is like to be working on growing your reader base and learning and industry and everything. So, hence why I rounded my rating up to a 5. ( )
  DanaBurkey | Apr 10, 2016 |
When Bridazak and his friend, Dulgin, a fellow Ordakian, discover a mysterious, magical artifact, they never imagined how much their lives would change. Thrust into an adventure that will challenge their faith, their purpose, and everything they know about life, they must cross the realm of Ruauk-El to fulfill an age-old prophecy that will herald the return of God, the City of Righteousness, and the days of old. There is an ancient evil, however, who will do anything to stop the prophecy from coming true, and he has enlisted the help of the two’s old enemy, King Manasseh. The two will encounter many new friends, lots of danger, and even more enemies. Will they succeed in fulfilling the prophecy or will the ancient evil take over?
A great adventure filled with action, old truths, and good vs. evil. The characters are entertaining and well-developed. The plot is intense, well-written, and engrossing. The author does a great job of implementing different plot devices such as cliffhangers that make it really hard to put the book down. Not to be read while trying to go to bed, readers who like fantasy and adventure will plow through this book easily and quickly an eagerly await the next one. ( )
1 vote kirathelibrarian | Dec 26, 2013 |
Wonderfully written story by Brae! The Orb of Truth is an Epic Adventure of three guys trying to find there way to fulfilling a prophecy. Through heart ache, loss, battles against evil, sacrifice, new friends and love they prove that nothing worth fighting for is easily attained. With lots of action at every turn, I watched as Bridazak and his friends learn many life lessons and even though this is a fantasy similar to the Lord of the Rings; I feel many people can learn something from it. This isn't just a battle of good vs evil with fairies, unicorns, gnomes, dwarfs and halflings; it teaches that there is a reason for everything and though we may not like what is put before us someone is always there to help us along the way if you put in the effort to make it happen. The Orb of Truth is a wonderful book for preteens and up. I can't wait for my son to read it as I know he will enjoy it as much as I have. I will be impatiently awaiting the next book! Thank you Brae for a wonderful story for all to enjoy! ( )
1 vote Dragonmama | Aug 20, 2013 |
I'm not normally an epic fantasy fan....but a friend told me to give it a try....I'm completely engrossed in this story. Great writing!
1 vote mgoane | Mar 12, 2013 |

“It’s a cross between Lord of the Rings and the Wizard of OZ where you will be swept away into a magical land of Dwarves, Elves, and Halflings.”
—Brae Wyckoff

Voted #1 Best Fantasy Book Under the Radar!
Voted #1 Best Christian Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book!
Voted #1 Best Indie Fantasy Book!

The Orb of Truth Book Synopsis:

In the hundreds of years since the Holy City disappeared, darkness has fallen over the land. Human kingdoms have seized control of the realm, scattering the other races into hiding. Bridazak, a skilled thief, and his friends, a Dwarf and a fellow Ordakian, have dared to remain within the human communities and live relatively quiet lives, until they discover a mysterious, magical artifact. The three friends are thrust into an adventure that will challenge their faith, their purpose, and their destiny as they chase a forgotten and lost prophecy across the realm of Ruauck-El, where they hope to discover the origins of the strange item and their place in its history. An ancient, unknown enemy threatens the completion of their journey at every turn. Bridazak is about to face the biggest adventure of his life, one that may change the known realm, and answer the questions he has carried all his life. Will they unlock the truth?… (more)

Brae Wyckoff is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,333,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible