Vicious (Villains, #1) by Victoria Schwab

Vicious (Villains, #1) (edition 2013)

by Victoria Schwab

Series: Villains (1)

"Victor and Eli started out as college roommates-- brilliant, arrogant, lonely boys who recognized the same sharpness and ambition in each other. In their senior year, a shared research interest in adrenaline, near-death experiences, and seemingly supernatural events reveals an intriguing possibility: that under the right conditions, someone could develop extraordinary abilities. But when their thesis moves from the academic to the experimental, things go horribly wrong. Ten years later, Victor breaks out of prison, determined to catch up to his old friend (now foe), aided by a young girl whose reserved nature obscures a stunning ability. Meanwhile, Eli is on a mission to eradicate every other super-powered person that he can find-- aside from his sidekick, an enigmatic woman with an unbreakable will. Armed with terrible power on both sides, driven by the memory of betrayal and loss, the archnemeses have set a course for revenge-- but who will be left alive at the end?" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)
Member:fischerp
Title:Vicious (Villains, #1)
Authors:Victoria Schwab
Info:Tor Books, Kindle Edition, 366 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read

Work Information

Vicious by V. E. Schwab

English (136)  German (1)  All languages (137)
I enjoyed this Urban Fantasy/Horror story.

Two college students theorize how to create "EO"s or ExtraOrdinary people: People with super powers. Then they take the next step and create several EOs - themselves.

The rest of the book is a thriller, good vs evil. Super Hero vs Super Villain, with no certainty that one will win over the other. ( )
  sriddell | Aug 6, 2022 |
Love love reading from a villain's perspective. Very well written, really liked all the characters; they had great personalities and the fine line of familiar but unique characters was walked very well. Love to see familiar superpowers; makes me feel more connected to the characters for some reason, maybe because of nostalgia? Cool setting, and I liked how quick and snippy the chapters were. Wasn't quite sure of the ending, felt maybe a small tad underwhelming, and looking back not too much happened in the plot, but definitely would read the next one if I came open it. ( )
  grandma.meg | Jul 26, 2022 |
My actual rating is more of a 4.5 because wow this is a good book! This is definitely my favorite novel by V.E Schwab so far.
I loved how despite Victor being a very uh, morally questionable character (to put it lightly) you couldn’t help but still root for him the face of Eli’s far worse deeds. I’m such a sucker for those kind of characters so this was just amazing. Pair that with awesome supporting characters, a decade long revenge plan, and extraordinary abilities and you’ve got yourself a dark, twisted and fascinating story.
It was written quite well shifting between past and present to piece together the facets of the story and slowly putting it all together. It was very suspenseful and I had a super hard time putting it down.

Overall: a great dark story! Would definitely recommend. The storyline of Victor being sentenced to jail, planning revenge, and then escaping to act out said revenge gave me vague the Count of Monte Cristo vibes and I was here for it. ( )
  Oblivionsdream | Jul 18, 2022 |
WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT??? ( )
  autumn_wind | Jun 30, 2022 |
I'm reviewing this book after nearly two months of having read it, so pardon me if I don't seem as enthusiastic about it as I was when I read it.
It's a good book. Definitely not great. But good enough. The premise is noteworthy. Self-made powers. A bit like X-Men, except it's a derived, not an innate ability. More than the magical world (it's quite lovely, to be sure, reading about extraordinary abilities) however, it is the characters themselves who hold the book together and make you want to read. There's not a terribly large cast, and that helps. Victor, Eli, Mitch, Serena, and Sydney. That;s it. And each of them is unique, in varying shades of grey. There's no perfect hero facing his evil nemesis; what there is is two friends, Victor and Eli, who are both similar at the core and yet view the world with different perspectives. Despite being governed by similar principles (neither seems to value human life too highly and they both believe in their own superiority), they are at odds with each other leading to an untenable position where both want to destroy each other.
I loved both Sydney and Serena, their descriptions, how their abilities changed them as people.
It was the end that was pretty weak. After all the buildup, it was quite a letdown, both the execution and the tale itself.
Overall, a good, fast read. ( )
  Chandna_Agarwal | Apr 8, 2022 |

V. E. Schwabprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ngai, VictoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Life — the way it really is — is a battle not between Bad and Good, but between Bad and Worse.

—Joseph Brodsky
To Miriam and Holly, for proving time and again that they are ExtraOrdinary.
Victor readjusted the shovels on his shoulder and stepped gingerly over an old, half-sunken grave.
Someone could call themselves a hero and still walk around killing dozens. Someone else could be labeled a villain for trying to stop them. Plenty of humans were monstrous, and plenty of monsters knew how to play at being human. (p. 271)

A superpower
novel turned on its moral
head: no heroes here.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,560,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible