dismiss

Vicious by Victoria Schwab

Vicious (edition 2013)

by Victoria Schwab

Series: Villains (Schwab) (1)

"Victor and Eli started out as college roommates-- brilliant, arrogant, lonely boys who recognized the same sharpness and ambition in each other. In their senior year, a shared research interest in adrenaline, near-death experiences, and seemingly supernatural events reveals an intriguing possibility: that under the right conditions, someone could develop extraordinary abilities. But when their thesis moves from the academic to the experimental, things go horribly wrong. Ten years later, Victor breaks out of prison, determined to catch up to his old friend (now foe), aided by a young girl whose reserved nature obscures a stunning ability. Meanwhile, Eli is on a mission to eradicate every other super-powered person that he can find-- aside from his sidekick, an enigmatic woman with an unbreakable will. Armed with terrible power on both sides, driven by the memory of betrayal and loss, the archnemeses have set a course for revenge-- but who will be left alive at the end?" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)
Member:Letora
Title:Vicious
Authors:Victoria Schwab
Info:New York : Tor, 2013.
Collections:Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, Light Novel, Urban Fantasy, Young Adult, Your library, Favorites
Tags:to-read

Vicious by V. E. Schwab

English (97)  German (1)  All languages (98)
4.5 star rating.

LOVED THIS. Full RTC ( )
  angelgay | Jul 1, 2020 |
Unlike the rest of you, this wasn't on my radar till Vengeful came out...

And while I enjoyed this twisty adventure and all these characters who I do not relate to one bit but find fun to read and fascinating nonetheless, I have one very strong opinion:

It doesn't need a sequel.

Perhaps I'm saying this due to my high level of bitter over the utterly disappointing sequel I just read, but maybe it's just...true. I kind of just want to leave it there.

But there is a sequel. So I guess I'll likely read it. I don't know when or why. (Yes, I see your 5 star reviews, I'm just not convinced yet) ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
4.5 stars
I loved this book. Despite the fact that most of the characters were not good I still became attached to them. I love how Victoria E. Schwab went against expectations and had bad main characters. This book was easy to read in that I was so engaged and it was so fast paced that I finished it quickly. I definitely recommend this book. ( )
  InfiniteWolves | Jun 26, 2020 |
4.5 stars

I really, really liked this book.
I think it was my least favourite Schwab book so far, but I really, really liked it still.

The characters were morally grey and wonderful!

- Victor was dark and murderous and also just a loveable sweetie. His development was A and I adored him. A lot. Plus he was a great narrator.

- Eli was dark and murderous and evil, and most certainly NOT a loveable sweetie. At all. I hated him with a fiery passion, but his development was SO GOOD.

- Sydney was smol and scared and precious, and also somewhat badass and amazing! Plus her superpower was the coolest thing!

- Serena was an amazing character! I hated her, but at the same time, I felt a lot of pity for her, and I absolutely ADORED her chapters!

- Mitchell was a big loveable sweetheart, and he deserves the world.

- Plus there was a dog, which makes everything better.

The writing was awesome (I mean, it's Schwab. Of course it was.), and I adored it.

The world building was fantastic! I adored all the different superpowers, and the whole concept behind them was soooo unique. Love. It.

The plot was solid. Nothing more to say there really, but it was good. (I just read this over a month ago and can't remember what the plot WAS, so don't mind me.)

Overall, I adored this book! I just sort felt like something was... lacking. Just a little. I don't know. But still, I loved it, and can I just flail please?

***Initial reaction, June 14, 2018***

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! HOW is that the ending?!?!?! Whatever, at least I won't have to wait five years for the sequel like I would've if I'd read it when it came out. So.
RTC. ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
Page-turner. Without giving anything away, there are no 'good guys' in this book. I could honestly see this becoming a whole new genre: villain vs. villain. ( )
  mitchtroutman | Jun 14, 2020 |

V. E. Schwabprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ngai, VictoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Life — the way it really is — is a battle not between Bad and Good, but between Bad and Worse.

—Joseph Brodsky
To Miriam and Holly, for proving time and again that they are ExtraOrdinary.
Victor readjusted the shovels on his shoulder and stepped gingerly over an old, half-sunken grave.
Someone could call themselves a hero and still walk around killing dozens. Someone else could be labeled a villain for trying to stop them. Plenty of humans were monstrous, and plenty of monsters knew how to play at being human. (p. 271)

A superpower
novel turned on its moral
head: no heroes here.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,601,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible