My Beloved World (2013)

by Sonia Sotomayor

1,1254913,499 (4)95
"An instant American icon--the first Hispanic on the U.S. Supreme Court--tells the story of her life before becoming a judge in an inspiring, surprisingly personal memoir. With startling candor and intimacy, Sonia Sotomayor recounts her life from a Bronx housing project to the federal bench, a progress that is testament to her extraordinary determination and the power of believing in oneself. She writes of her precarious childhood and the refuge she took with her passionately spirited paternal grandmother. She describes her resolve as a young girl to become a lawyer, and how she made this dream become reality: valedictorian of her high school class, summa cum laude at Princeton, Yale Law, prosecutor in the Manhattan D.A.'s office, private practice, federal district judge before the age of forty. She writes about her deeply valued mentors, about her failed marriage, about her cherished family of friends. Through her still-astonished eyes, America's infinite possibilities are envisioned anew in this warm and honest book, destined to become a classic of self-discovery and self-invention, alongside Barack Obama's Dreams from My Father"--… (more)

What a refreshing memoir by a fascinating woman! Her honesty about herself makes her an endearing writer to read. From losing her father at a young age to finding her way in places where people like her were not always welcome, she comes with a big heart and soul. I tagged this as an author I think I would be friends with! ( )
  witchyrichy | May 26, 2021 |
A networking acquaintance gave me this book in a box of books she couldn't use for the project for which she'd collected them. j

I knew Sonia Sotomayor's name but couldn't place it until I read the back cover blurb. I am glad I read this book. Her story is inspiring. She grew up in a lower income household but that didn't stop her from setting a career goal and working to achieve it. She managed to be accepted into ivy league schools for her undergraduate and law school studies. She became a respected litigation attorney and eventually a judge and then a Supreme Court justice. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Apr 22, 2021 |
Not a lover of this genre but reading for book club. Enjoyed her honesty about growing up in a poor but caring environment, influences of Grandma, the lessons learned from forensics, the realization of not being able to stop an addict, the acceptance over the ending of her marriage being due to workaholic tendencies (although wouldn’t that have existed in dating and beginning years). Later it was a soap box writing for Puerto Rico and it’s ways. Agreed with later life speaking out about diabetes. She forced herself to accomplish a lot But extremely intelligent. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
Incredible self-portrait of Sonia Sotomayor growing up in an impoverished Latinx community in NYC and how she got to law school, despite the difficulties. It is very detailed; her feelings at each stage of her life and her feelings about the people she meets are fully 3-dimensional. Her strength of spirit really shines throughout this memoir. Fantastic read. ( )
  krazy4katz | May 22, 2020 |
This came highly recommended. It is a great story, and Sotomayor convincingly argues the importance of her background to her jurisprudence. However, the book is more sanitized than I would like---I wanted it up go deeper---and the long quotations from Sotomayor's speeches makes it seem like she wasn't completely committed to this memoir. Of course, it also ends too soon (for understandable reasons), just when she becomes a Supreme Court Justice.

> I am struck by how low were their expectations for their young charges. Of one girl, for instance, it is written that she had "hopes of becoming a fashion designer but we think she’d make a better mother with six children."

> And though Titi was also the most honest person I knew—if she found a dime in a pay phone, she’d dial the operator to ask where she should mail it—she broke the law every day she went to work.

> If you held to principle so passionately, so inflexibly, indifferent to the particulars of circumstance—the full range of what human beings, with all their flaws and foibles, might endure or create—if you enthroned principle above even reason, weren’t you then abdicating the responsibilities of a thinking person? ( )
  breic | Dec 14, 2019 |
But if the outlines of Justice Sotomayor’s life are well known by now, her searching and emotionally intimate memoir, “My Beloved World,” nonetheless has the power to surprise and move the reader. Whereas the justice’s legal writings have been described by reporters as dry, methodical and technical, this account of her life is revealing, keenly observed and deeply felt.

My Beloved World is filled with inspiring, and surprisingly candid, stories about how the Supreme Court's first Hispanic justice overcame a troubled childhood to attend Princeton and Yale Law School, eventually earning a seat on the nation's highest court. But readers hoping to gain insight from the book into how Ms. Sotomayor might rule in key cases will have to dig deep for hints of her legal philosophy. The book, which covers he life prior to becoming a judge, barely says a word about the Constitution and even less about ideology. Yet one doesn't get the sense that politics were scrubbed from the text; it is rather that the topic isn't of much interest to the author.
added by sgump | editWall Street Journal, Carla Main (Jan 18, 2013)

Sonia Sotomayorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moreno, RitaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perdonadle al desterrado
ese dulce frenesi
vuelvo a mi mundo adorado,
y yo estoy enamorado
de la tierra en que naci.

. . .
Forgive the exile
this sweet frenzy;
I return to my beloved world,
in love with the land where I was born.
- from "To Puerto Rico (I Return),"
by Jose Gautier Benitez
(Preface) Since my appointment to the Supreme Court, I have spoken to a wide variety of groups in different settings, answering all sorts of questions.
(Prologue) I was barely awake, and my mother was already screaming.
I was not yet eight years old when I was diagnosed with diabetes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,498,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible