The Martian

by Andy Weir

Series: Mark Watney (1)

12,099986364 (4.27)3 / 879
Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills--and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit--he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?… (more)
    Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (fichtennadel)
    Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach (sboyte)
    sboyte: One is fiction and one is nonfiction, but the subject matter is similar and I think both will appeal to anyone who enjoys science with a dash of humor.
    The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe (timspalding)
    The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne (rakerman)
    rakerman: In The Mysterious Island, a small group lands on an island with no technology other than a watch and proceed to rebuild Victorian industrial civilization. The scientific details of creating each new device and system are carefully described. In The Martian, similar care is taken to describe the modified systems and devices needed to sustain the astronaut on Mars.… (more)
    A Fall of Moondust by Arthur C. Clarke (pnorth)
    Seveneves by Neal Stephenson (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Engineering solutions in stressful conditions.
    Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (sturlington)
    sturlington: Mr. Penumbra's reminded me in tone and its reverence for tech, geeks, and pop culture of both The Martian and Ready Player One.
    The Fated Sky by Mary Robinette Kowal (Aquila)
    The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Disaster hits and you have to engineer the impossible in a low-resource setting. In Kowal's book, it's getting a habitable off-world environment using 1950s tech before earth becomes unlivable. Highly recommended.
    The Explorer by James Smythe (jonathankws)
    Voyage by Stephen Baxter (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Deux histoires autour du voyage vers Mars : comment y aller, et aussi comment en repartir. Problématiques scientifiques, difficultés d’ingénierie, et troubles politiques.
    Failure is not an Option: Mission Control from Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond by Eugene Kranz (bertilak)
    How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems by Randall Munroe (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Both are extensively researched, mathematically-grounded descriptions of kluged solutions to "real-world" problems by web comic authors with backgrounds in STEM careers.
    Mars Crossing by Geoffrey A. Landis (Anonymous user)
    Year Zero by Rob Reid (TomWaitsTables)
    Apollo: The Race to the Moon by Charles Murray (lturpin42)
    Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell (misericordia)
    misericordia: If you want to understand what a Steely Eyed Missile Man is, read Lost Moon.
    The Patriots of Mars: The God That Failed by Jeff Faria (heatherlove)
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Andy Weir and James S. A. Corey met at a book signing and agreed that The Expanse series and The Martian set in the same time-line. So, if you're a fan of The Martian and want to find out what happened after Mars was colonized, read Leviathan Wakes. If you're a fan of The Expanse series, and want to read about the very first Martian colonist, read The Martian. For proof, check a 3 Oct 2015 tweet by @JamesSACorey for confirmation. One of The Expanse books also references a Martian ship named the 'Mark Watney'.… (more)
    Dragonfly: NASA And The Crisis Aboard Mir by Bryan Burrough (misericordia)
    misericordia: For more reference to how NASA really works read Dragonfly

English (965)  German (7)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (1)  Turkish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (987)
Good ole fashioned fun, quick read. Perfect summer beach read... on Mars. ( )
  danjrosenbaum | Oct 29, 2020 |
I love Mark Watney. The author did a good job of making him feel real. Reading this was like reading about one of my nerdy friends getting trapped on Mars. Some people may not appreciate the humor or rough language, but for me it made this book an experience. Add to this the fact that this crazy man talked about farming in space with (as far as my vaguely remembered horticultural background goes)accurate soil science. I'm a little jealous that this fictional character could get potatoes to produce better than my last potato project, but that is beside the point. I loved the book. I would really like to know what happened after the book ends, and I'm hoping the author writes more either of this story, or others. ( )
  Noeshia | Oct 23, 2020 |
Loved every minute of reading this. Suspenseful, fun and really interesting. It read like a great Hollywood movie, probably starring Tom Hanks in some capacity. ( )
  klnbennett | Oct 7, 2020 |
Read it in one sitting. This book hit all the right science and geek buttons for me. I laughed out loud on occasion and sat in suspense during others. great read! ( )
  Chris.Bulin | Oct 1, 2020 |
God what a book, it flies along and takes you with it. I think this has to be one of the best reads in a long time. The structure and style just go together so well that you wonder what was in the minds of the people that turned it down. It is cinematic and it feels more like a movie than a book. This is one of the few books that make me want to see the movie. There are laugh out loud bits and make you cry bits but not an ounce of sentimentality which is quite an achievement for a about a man who is facing imminent death every day.

As I was reading it I was thinking about the movie Interstellar, another masterpiece and thinking about how good science fiction beats almost everything else hands down.

Simply brilliant

Rendfleisch, ElizabethDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, EricCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

ebook Newton (Narrativa, 793)
For Mom
who calls me "Pickle,"
and Dad,
who calls me "Dude."
I'm pretty much fucked.
Also, I have duct tape. Ordinary duct tape, like you buy at a hardware store. Turns out even NASA can't improve on duct tape.
I need to ask myself, "What would an Apollo astronaut do?" He'd drink three whiskey sours, drive his Corvette to the launchpad, then fly to the moon in a command module smaller than my Rover. Man, those guys were cool.
Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped.
As with most of life's problems, this one can be solved by a box of pure radiation.
Hurray for standardized valve systems!

A MISSION TO MARS.

A FREAK ACCIDENT.

ONE MAN'S STRUGGLE TO SURVIVE.

Now he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate the planet while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded on Mars, completely alone, with no way to signal Earth that he's alive. And even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone years before a rescue could arrive.

Chances are, though, Mark won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain, old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.

But Mark's not ready to quit. Armed with nothing but his ingenuity and his engineering skills — and a gallows sense of humor that proves to be his greatest source of strength — he embarks on a dogged quest to stay alive, using his botany expertise to grow food and even hatching a mad plan to contact NASA back on Earth.

As he overcomes one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next, Mark begins to let himself believe he might make it off the planet alive.

But Mars has plenty of surprises in store for him yet.

Grounded in real, present-day science from the first page to the last, yet propelled by a brilliantly ingenious plot that surprises the reader again and again, The Martian is a truly remarkable thriller — an impossible to put down suspense novel that manages to read like a real-life survival tale.

In a desert-sea

With little chance to survive

He will overcome

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Andy Weir's book The Martian was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

5 2036

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,758,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible