The Martian by Andy Weir

The Martian (edition 2014)

by Andy Weir (Author)

Series: Mark Watney (1)

15,3341156307 (4.28)3 / 959
Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills--and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit--he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?… (more)
Member:WorldsOkayestDenise
Title:The Martian
Authors:Andy Weir (Author)
Info:Broadway Books (2014), Edition: Reprint, 387 pages
Collections:To read

Work Information

The Martian by Andy Weir

Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (fichtennadel)
    Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach (sboyte)
    sboyte: One is fiction and one is nonfiction, but the subject matter is similar and I think both will appeal to anyone who enjoys science with a dash of humor.
    The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne (rakerman)
    rakerman: In The Mysterious Island, a small group lands on an island with no technology other than a watch and proceed to rebuild Victorian industrial civilization. The scientific details of creating each new device and system are carefully described. In The Martian, similar care is taken to describe the modified systems and devices needed to sustain the astronaut on Mars.… (more)
    The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe (timspalding)
    A Fall of Moondust by Arthur C. Clarke (pnorth)
    Seveneves by Neal Stephenson (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Engineering solutions in stressful conditions.
    Mr Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (sturlington)
    sturlington: Mr. Penumbra's reminded me in tone and its reverence for tech, geeks, and pop culture of both The Martian and Ready Player One.
    The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Disaster hits and you have to engineer the impossible in a low-resource setting. In Kowal's book, it's getting a habitable off-world environment using 1950s tech before earth becomes unlivable. Highly recommended.
    How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems by Randall Munroe (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Both are extensively researched, mathematically-grounded descriptions of kluged solutions to "real-world" problems by web comic authors with backgrounds in STEM careers.
    The Fated Sky by Mary Robinette Kowal (Aquila)
    The Explorer by James Smythe (jonathankws)
    Voyage by Stephen Baxter (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Deux histoires autour du voyage vers Mars : comment y aller, et aussi comment en repartir. Problématiques scientifiques, difficultés d’ingénierie, et troubles politiques.
    Failure is not an Option: Mission Control from Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond by Eugene Kranz (bertilak)
    Year Zero by Rob Reid (TomWaitsTables)
    Mars Crossing by Geoffrey A. Landis (Anonymous user)
    Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell (misericordia)
    misericordia: If you want to understand what a Steely Eyed Missile Man is, read Lost Moon.
    The Patriots of Mars: The God That Failed by Jeff Faria (heatherlove)
    Apollo: The Race to the Moon by Charles Murray (lturpin42)
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Andy Weir and James S. A. Corey met at a book signing and agreed that The Expanse series and The Martian set in the same time-line. So, if you're a fan of The Martian and want to find out what happened after Mars was colonized, read Leviathan Wakes. If you're a fan of The Expanse series, and want to read about the very first Martian colonist, read The Martian. For proof, check a 3 Oct 2015 tweet by @JamesSACorey for confirmation. One of The Expanse books also references a Martian ship named the 'Mark Watney'.… (more)
    Dragonfly: NASA And The Crisis Aboard Mir by Bryan Burrough (misericordia)
    misericordia: For more reference to how NASA really works read Dragonfly

Group TopicMessagesLast Message
 The Martian: The movie is out!19 unread / 19MaureenRoy, February 2016
 The Martian: Sand storm!9 unread / 9pollux, August 2015
 Science Fiction Fans: The Martian by Andy Weir - reading in Dec 201421 unread / 212wonderY, December 2014

English (1,132)  German (6)  French (4)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Turkish (1)  All languages (1,153)
Watney's a super nerd and I love it! This book was fun and refreshing; different from what I usually read, but good! ( )
  meimeiminimochi | Dec 2, 2022 |
Perfect ( )
  cmrani | Nov 27, 2022 |
I bought the book after watching the movie and I found it a fantastic read.

A rollicking good Sci-Fi story that's bound to stand up with the best of them! ( )
  Pilgriminal | Nov 12, 2022 |
Science fiction about an astronaut, believed to be dead and, therefore, left behind by his crew upon an emergency evacuation from Mars. It is hard to imagine a more hostile environment upon which to base a survival story. The protagonist engages in creative problem-solving, using his engineering and botanical background, to overcome a series of life-threatening obstacles. The time-period is not specified, but appears to be in the not-too-distant future when missions to Mars have become an established part of the space program.

The book is plot-driven, and the characters are not deeply drawn. We get to know the main character through his actions. His thoughts are filtered through his sarcastic sense of humor. I thought his mission log became more of a personal diary, an antidote to his isolation, to satisfy a basic human need for communication. The science is well-grounded, but the author may have gone a bit overboard with the tech-talk, calculations, and scientific details (even for someone who has worked in the technology industry). Overall, I found it entertaining and thought-provoking.

Recommended to those who enjoy plausible science fiction, heavy on the science, readers of survival stories, and space aficionados.

Favorite quotes:
“They say no plan survives first contact with implementation. I’d have to agree.”

“The worst moments in life are heralded by small observations.” ( )
  Castlelass | Oct 30, 2022 |
Really enjoyable, 4.5 stars but I'm going 5 rather than 4 as it was impressively cheap. if I'd paid full price for this I wouldn't have been disappointed, and I'm certain this one will stick in my mind for some time, as it was different - I read a Lt of SciFi but is never read this general idea. great characters, well explained science bits (not dull like science explanations can sometimes be) and I was engaged and interested the whole way through. Lovely. ( )
  clairefun | Oct 30, 2022 |
The Martian is technically a “hard science fiction” book – a subgenre of science fiction so firmly rooted in science that the story wouldn’t work without it. And certainly, Weir’s first work is science-heavy; he even mentioned in an interview that the book was an exercise in whether he could make a fictional narrative out of the scientific premise of the novel. The answer, obviously, is “yes,” and The Martian is an intriguing exercise in the way that science itself can create plot.

Weir, Andyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, EricCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

ebook Newton (Narrativa, 793)
Heyne (31691)
For Mom
who calls me "Pickle,"
and Dad,
who calls me "Dude."
I'm pretty much fucked.
Also, I have duct tape. Ordinary duct tape, like you buy at a hardware store. Turns out even NASA can't improve on duct tape.
I need to ask myself, "What would an Apollo astronaut do?" He'd drink three whiskey sours, drive his Corvette to the launchpad, then fly to the moon in a command module smaller than my Rover. Man, those guys were cool.
Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped.
As with most of life's problems, this one can be solved by a box of pure radiation.
Hurray for standardized valve systems!

In a desert-sea

With little chance to survive

He will overcome

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Andy Weir's book The Martian was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,201,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible