The Martian: A Novel by Andy Weir

The Martian: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2014)

by Andy Weir (Author)

10,375883425 (4.27)3 / 845
Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first. But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills--and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit--he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?… (more)
Member:SheLovesMaisie
Title:The Martian: A Novel
Authors:Andy Weir (Author)
Info:Broadway Books (2014), Edition: Reprint, 375 pages
Collections:Fiction, Wishlist, Trade paperback

The Martian by Andy Weir (Author) (2011)

Recently added byrena75, LeeHillys, kristibird, quantumamy, dotyzpa67, ylimejane, private library, jkrrish001
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (fichtennadel)
    Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach (sboyte)
    sboyte: One is fiction and one is nonfiction, but the subject matter is similar and I think both will appeal to anyone who enjoys science with a dash of humor.
    A Fall of Moondust by Arthur C. Clarke (pnorth)
    The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe (timspalding)
    The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne (rakerman)
    rakerman: In The Mysterious Island, a small group lands on an island with no technology other than a watch and proceed to rebuild Victorian industrial civilization. The scientific details of creating each new device and system are carefully described. In The Martian, similar care is taken to describe the modified systems and devices needed to sustain the astronaut on Mars.… (more)
    Seveneves by Neal Stephenson (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Engineering solutions in stressful conditions.
    The Explorer by James Smythe (jonathankws)
    Voyage by Stephen Baxter (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: Deux histoires autour du voyage vers Mars : comment y aller, et aussi comment en repartir. Problématiques scientifiques, difficultés d’ingénierie, et troubles politiques.
    Failure Is Not an Option by Eugene Kranz (bertilak)
    Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (sturlington)
    sturlington: Mr. Penumbra's reminded me in tone and its reverence for tech, geeks, and pop culture of both The Martian and Ready Player One.
    Mars Crossing by Geoffrey A. Landis (Anonymous user)
    The Fated Sky by Mary Robinette Kowal (Aquila)
    Year Zero by Rob Reid (TomWaitsTables)
    The Patriots of Mars: The God That Failed by Jeff Faria (heatherlove)
    Apollo: The Race to the Moon by Charles Murray (lturpin42)
    Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell (misericordia)
    misericordia: If you want to understand what a Steely Eyed Missile Man is, read Lost Moon.
    The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Disaster hits and you have to engineer the impossible in a low-resource setting. In Kowal's book, it's getting a habitable off-world environment using 1950s tech before earth becomes unlivable. Highly recommended.
    Dragonfly: NASA And The Crisis Aboard Mir by Bryan Burrough (misericordia)
    misericordia: For more reference to how NASA really works read Dragonfly
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Andy Weir and James S. A. Corey met at a book signing and agreed that The Expanse series and The Martian set in the same time-line. So, if you're a fan of The Martian and want to find out what happened after Mars was colonized, read Leviathan Wakes. If you're a fan of The Expanse series, and want to read about the very first Martian colonist, read The Martian. For proof, check a 3 Oct 2015 tweet by @JamesSACorey for confirmation. One of The Expanse books also references a Martian ship named the 'Mark Watney'.… (more)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (sturlington)
    sturlington: For geeking out

English (885)  German (7)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Hungarian (2)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Turkish (1)  All languages (906)
I had already seen the movie, but the book was arguably even better. The humor is great, there's a lot more going on than in the movie, and you actually get explanations on how all the things Mark is doing work. So, yeah, read it. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
"Also, I have duct tape. Ordinary duct tape, like you buy at a hardware store. Turns out even NASA can’t improve on duct tape."

I never would have picked up this book on my own. I do enjoy some sci-fi, but the kind that is more fantasy-based, and I won't turn down a good space opera. Star Wars, anyone? The Martian is outside of my comfort zone for two reasons. Firstly, it's about space travel, and not the fantasy kind. I tend to get bored with this subject because of how lifeless space is. I mean, I think it's interesting, but I don't want to spend hours reading about it. I remember, when I was a kid, I was the only person I knew that was bored with the movie, Apollo 13. I did like Gravity, though. Secondly, it's heavily based on physics/chemistry, which are just different names for math. Don't give me beef on this, it's math. I was good at math in school, and I even got an A in chemistry, but it was always a struggle. I do not enjoy math. Still, I like a good man versus nature story. Overall, I think the book was ok. I wasn't thrilled with it, but I did enjoy certain aspects of it. The Martian did surprise me in some ways. Weir uses real science/math throughout the book, makeing it highly plausible that Astronaut Mark Watney is able to survive being stranded on Mars. I liked Mark's ingenuity and problem-solving skills. I didn't like the in-depth technical explanations. They were far too mathy, far too many, and I ended up skimming through a lot of those sections because I was getting bored. It was just way over my head. I can understand the ideas behind the solutions. I don't need all that technical jargon to get the point across. It's overkill. I didn't care much for Mark Watney's personality. He's funny at times, but not laugh-out loud funny. Mostly, he comes off as an immature frat boy. Rape jokes? Really? No, thank you. I'm also not a fan of crude humor and profanity. It's not pervasive, but it's enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Despite this, I was deeply invested in Mark's struggle to survive.
CAWPILE Rating:
I- 6
L- 9
E- 5
Avg- 6.1 = ⭐⭐⭐
#mmdchallenge (a book outside of your [genre] comfort zone) ( )
  DominiqueMarie | Sep 22, 2019 |
I adore space exploration stories and this one rings with truth about the dangers. It also demonstrates the spirit of man to survive impossible conditions through reason and stubbornness. I enjoyed this story for making me feel I was on Mars. ( )
  JoniMFisher | Sep 19, 2019 |
I absolutely loved this book. I read through it in about four days, and I must admit it was sometimes hard to put down, but the lateness of the hour would force me to.

I love the setting in the near future, with the realistic setting of NASA getting humans to Mars - a long time dream of many people around the world. It reminds us of the dangers of space travel, and the unforgiving environments in which they take place. The problems just keep coming for Mark, and while some people found some of his "humor" rather silly or embarrasing, I think it was hilarious and we should keep in mind that humor was one of the few things that could help Mark keep his sanity and keep him from simply giving up, laying down and dying. ( )
  AMartinios | Sep 16, 2019 |
Like a band with a great rhythm section but a bad singer, this novel has a great tech nerd pulse that throbs throughout but much of the rest is just unpleasant noise. The plot of an astronaut stranded on Mars grabs you right away. The first person narrative of that astronaut from his daily journal, playful and sarcastic in the face of possible oblivion, keeps you involved between the juicy chunks of science. But it is the science that is that star of THE MARTIAN. The main character must “science the hell” out of his situation in order to survive: from growing crops where there is no soil to creating water to keep those crops and himself alive. The science is presented in such a manner that this reader almost believed he could follow the instructions and survive on Mars. That is quite an achievement as my survival skills are tested every time I lose visual contact with the refrigerator. Famously this book benefitted from a long gestation period during which the author received a lot of input regarding the technical aspects of his plot. Unfortunately, he did not get the same help developing his characters as he did developing his science. Almost every character speaks in the same sarcastic voice—the only way you can recall who is who is by how quickly they get annoyed or how quickly they annoy someone else. I understand that these folks are under tremendous pressure but frankly, most of them come off like a bunch of pricks. And posing the question as to whether billions should be spent to save one guy beyond a paragraph or two would have been nice. The money spent on his rescue could have saved a million lives on earth—yet the global outcry seems only on the side of the lost astronaut. All that being said, the science and plotting compelled me to keep reading with little regret even if I occasionally was tempted to tear out sections of the book and toss them in the trash—conveniently located near the refrigerator. ( )
  KurtWombat | Sep 15, 2019 |

who calls me "Pickle,"
and Dad,
who calls me "Dude."
I'm pretty much fucked.
Also, I have duct tape. Ordinary duct tape, like you buy at a hardware store. Turns out even NASA can't improve on duct tape.
I need to ask myself, "What would an Apollo astronaut do?" He'd drink three whiskey sours, drive his Corvette to the launchpad, then fly to the moon in a command module smaller than my Rover. Man, those guys were cool.
Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped.
As with most of life's problems, this one can be solved by a box of pure radiation.
Hurray for standardized valve systems!

A MISSION TO MARS.

A FREAK ACCIDENT.

ONE MAN'S STRUGGLE TO SURVIVE.

Now he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate the planet while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded on Mars, completely alone, with no way to signal Earth that he's alive. And even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone years before a rescue could arrive.

Chances are, though, Mark won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain, old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.

But Mark's not ready to quit. Armed with nothing but his ingenuity and his engineering skills — and a gallows sense of humor that proves to be his greatest source of strength — he embarks on a dogged quest to stay alive, using his botany expertise to grow food and even hatching a mad plan to contact NASA back on Earth.

As he overcomes one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next, Mark begins to let himself believe he might make it off the planet alive.

But Mars has plenty of surprises in store for him yet.

Grounded in real, present-day science from the first page to the last, yet propelled by a brilliantly ingenious plot that surprises the reader again and again, The Martian is a truly remarkable thriller — an impossible to put down suspense novel that manages to read like a real-life survival tale.

In a desert-sea

With little chance to survive

He will overcome

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Andy Weir's book The Martian was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,796,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible