Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Because I Said So!: The Truth Behind the…

by Ken Jennings (Author)

Ken Jennings wants to find out if mother and father always know best. Yes, all those years you were told not to sit too close to the television (you'll hurt your eyes!) or swallow your gum (it stays in your stomach for seven years!) or crack your knuckles (arthritis!) are called into question by our country's leading trivia guru. Jennings separates myth from fact to debunk a wide variety of parental edicts: no swimming after meals, sit up straight, don't talk to strangers, and so on. Armed with medical case histories, scientific findings, and even the occasional experiment on himself (or his kids), Jennings exposes countless examples of parental wisdom run amok. Whether you're a parent who wants to know what you can stop worrying about or a kid (of any age) looking to say, "I told you so," this is the anti-helicopter parenting book you've been waiting for.… (more)
Member:rickycatto
Title:Because I Said So!: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales, and Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids
Authors:Ken Jennings (Author)
Info:Scribner (2012), Edition: First Edition, 256 pages
Tags:to-read, audiobooks

Because I Said So!: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales, and Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids by Ken Jennings

A ratos me he reído con ganas, pero termina siendo bastante simplón (no más de lo esperable, por otra parte). ( )
  mirenbz | Jun 14, 2020 |
I 'read' the audible version of this book while I was swimming and I enjoyed it enormously. Ken Jennings is a great reader! I learned all kinds of interesting things. I was kind of disappointed when it ended, I'm ready for vol.2. I don't really care much about maps (his other book) but if he did the reading, I'm going to listen to it, too! ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |
Not a story, but a series of essays about various things that parents tend to tell their kids. At the end of each essay, Mr. Jennings [a:Ken Jennings|45003|Ken Jennings|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1353968375p2/45003.jpg] gives a truth value to each of the things. Sometimes he lets his own personal feelings color his truth rating, but overall a fun read. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
Meh. The more unfamiliar superstitions, ironically, were particularly boring. And, Jennings isn't going to win any comedy awards. ( )
  Sandydog1 | Dec 29, 2019 |
If you haven't read anything by Ken Jennings, please do because the man is absolutely hilarious (his twitter is definitely a must-follow). Here, he examines the "Mom-and-Dadisms" like "Don't swallow gum or it'll sit in your stomach for 7 years!" or "If you touch a butterfly's wings they will DIE!" and see how truthful they actually are. He checks his sources and is SUPER witty- and also asked reddit for suggestions of myths to follow, actually using about 20 from that thread and sending the contributing redditors free copies.

srsly, Ken Jennings is probably one of my favorite Mormons. ( )
  Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |
For Dylan and Caitlin.
I hope someday you have children just like you.
Preface
I was sitting in my parents' kitchen not long ago when my young son, Dylan, came whipping around the corner with a grape Tootsie Pop firmly clamped in his teeth.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,555,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible