The Last Original Wife

by Dorothea Benton Frank

"Experience the sultry Southern atmosphere of Atlanta and the magic of the Carolina Lowcountry in this funny and poignant tale of one audacious woman's quest to find the love she deserves, from New York Times bestselling author Dorothea Benton Frank.Leslie Anne Greene Carter is The Last Original Wife among her husband Wesley's wildly successful Atlanta social set. His cronies have all traded in the mothers of their children they promised to love and cherish--'til death did them part--for tanned and toned young Barbie brides.If losing the social life and close friends she adored wasn't painful enough, a series of setbacks shake Les's world and push her to the edge. She's had enough of playing the good wife to a husband who thinks he's doing her a favor by keeping her around. She's not going to waste another minute on people she doesn't care to know. Now, she's going to take some time for herself--in the familiar comforts and stunning beauty of Charleston, her beloved hometown. In her brother's stately historic home, she's going to reclaim the carefree girl who spent lazy summers sharing steamy kisses with her first love on Sullivans Island. Along Charleston's live oak- and palmetto-lined cobblestone streets, under the Lowcountry's dazzling blue sky, Les will indulge herself with icy cocktails, warm laughter, divine temptation and bittersweet memories. Daring to listen to her inner voice, she will realize what she wants. and find the life of which she's always dreamed.Told in the alternating voices of Les and Wes, The Last Original Wife is classic Dorothea Benton Frank: an intoxicating tale of family, friendship, self-discovery, and love, that is as salty as a Lowcountry breeze and as invigorating as a dip in Carolina waters on a sizzling summer day"--"Leslie Anne Greene Carter is the last original wife among her husband's group of cronies. They've all traded in for younger... blonder... more enhanced models. But she is proud of her status and the longevity of her marriage. Sure the spark isn't quite there the way it once was. And it would be nicer if her husband paid a bit more attention to her desires but there's something to be said for a comfortable relationship. Or at least she thinks so until one day, out golfing with her husband and his friends, she falls into a manhole. And nobody realizes that she's gone. With her eyes finally open to what her perfect life has truly become, Leslie must trust in the healing powers of South Carolina's lush beaches, beautiful sunsets, and feisty residents. The Last Original Wife is a classic tale of friendship and love dipped in the salty waters of a South Carolina summer"--… (more)
Recently added byArina42, VOTGLibrary, yarnmom2one, private library

TERRIFIC! That's all. TERRIFIC! ( )
  nwieme | Mar 19, 2020 |
I'm not sure I understand why this book got so many bad reviews. It seems a lot of people thought the storyline was unrealistic. Well, the way I saw it, ofcourse it's not 100% realistic but it's fiction and I think we read it assuming there would be a happy ending.
I found it an easy read, the storyline is what you'd expect from the description on the book cover. And I wasn't sure until the very end whether or not Les would take Wes back. So, I didn't find it predictable and I did enjoy it.
My only complaint I guess is that Wes is a pretty unlikeable character. SOmetimes when I read a book, or watch a movie, and the lead character is with someone who is completely unlikeable I wonder why they didn't make the character atleast somewhat likeable. If they're not likeable at all, then why would the (presumably) smart lead character have been intersted in them for years? ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Dorothea Benton Frank has mastered Low Country Literature. She is adept at writing stories about women who learn to take charge of their lives. I totally enjoyed the subtle humor, the development of the characters and the descriptions of Charleston. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
Disappointing for this author. ( )
  INorris | Jun 8, 2017 |
Normally I enjoy Frank's books, but I did not connect with this tale of a woman who after years of tolerating her husband decides to exert herself. It glorifies divorce, marital infidelity, and more. Too much of the book was set in Atlanta instead of the Charleston/Sullivan's Island area. I'm struggling with whether to continue to read her work or not. I love Charleston/Low Country settings, but the last couple of Frank books disappointed. Perhaps it's time to move on. ( )
  thornton37814 | Feb 20, 2017 |
For Peter
Welcome to Saint Magnolia's Wounded Theater.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,742,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible