Beautiful Day: A Novel by Elin Hilderbrand

Beautiful Day: A Novel (original 2013; edition 2014)

by Elin Hilderbrand (Author)

Gathering on Nantucket for a wedding planned to the letter by the bride's late mother, the Carmichaels and the Grahams hide their scandal-ridden, crumbling lives from the blissfully unaware, happy couple.
Member:janinesherman
Title:Beautiful Day: A Novel
Authors:Elin Hilderbrand (Author)
Info:Back Bay Books (2014), 432 pages

Work Information

Beautiful Day by Elin Hilderbrand (2013)

English (33)  Dutch (1)  All languages (34)
This one was hard to figure out. It's about a very lavish wedding, like six figures lavish, that takes place on Nantucket Island. The bride's mother died 7 years previously and left an incredibly detailed wedding plan notebook for her youngest daughter since she knew she wouldn't live to see the wedding. This document is the blueprint by which everything occurs, and I never knew if I was supposed to find it charming or obnoxious. I mean, she planned the bouquet, the bridesmaid dresses, every tiny detail. And the youngest daughter never seems to be upset about this control freak from beyond the grave.
I did this one on audio, and the narrator did a good job. There were lots of point of view characters and voices to keep track of. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
Not my favorite. I did not like most of the characters like Pauline, Ramona, Helen or Margo. I liked Jenna some.

My own wedding was the wedding of my mother's dreams. She enjoyed all the details and I just to get it over. Especially when the church's air conditioning broke down in the middle of a heat wave. My aunt could have been right out of this book. My aunt took a very long bath before me, leaving with only enough time for a short shower! We were almost for the wedding, Was I angry, well maybe. Now it is a total comedy when I remember it, I received three identical pressure cookers from my aunts and each one of them asked me mot return the one that they had bought me!

I felt the most of the characters were spoiled and did not care enough for each other. I keep remembering the ugly cost of the wedding!!! Mine cost $100 for the dress, $100 for the cake (I paid for) and $100 for the flowers. $ 75 for invitations. Wow, it is coming back, my sister in law, messed on the orders for rehearsal dinner.

My second wedding was much better, we went to Las Vegas, got a cheap wedding package and our marriage is much better than the first one!

In conclusion, I have decided to avoid reading about spoiled rich people who think they have problems/ I have loved many of theauthor's books but this one annoyed me! ( )
  Carolee888 | Nov 7, 2021 |
Nice light summer read. ( )
  IngNorris | Oct 16, 2021 |
The premise of the story had such potential: a Mom in her dying months decides to write ideas she has for her youngest daughter’s wedding. The family feels they need to follow these ideas to the letter. The Mom became a saint in their eyes - Unrealistic. After 5 years Dad decides new wife not good enough. Too many characters with issues. Super rich wedding. Not enough growing up within story. Only groom’s mother grew by accepting her former then husband again. Everything turns out but just by rich luck. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
Family drama around a three-day summer wedding being held on beautiful Nantucket island. All you need to know is it's an Elin Hilderbrand novel. There will be many characters - both young and older, lots of angst, secrets and emotions, with people trying to manipulate each other. But the main thing is it will all come together and all you have to do is read - because Hilderbrand has written another enjoyable beach read that is worth investing your time. And now I'm going to find another Hilderbrand novel, because sometimes you just want something that makes you feel good when you turn the last page. ( )
  PhyllisReads | Jun 24, 2020 |
You want a love story?
This novel is dedicated to my grandparents,
Clarence Watt Huling Jr. and Ruth Francis Huling,
Who were married from June 19, 1943,
Until my grandfather’s death on June 1, 2012.
Sixty-eight years, eleven months, and two weeks.
That’s a love story.
THE NOTEBOOK, PAGE 1:
Dear Jenna,
I have finally reached the point with my prognosis where I accept that there are certain things I will not live to see.
“We are a family without our mother.”
In the kitchen hung a set of four original Roy Bailey paintings that might have been valuable, but they were coated in bacon grease and splattered oil from their father’s famous cornmeal onion rings. At one point, Margot’s mother had said, “Yes, this was a lovely house until we got a hold of it. Now it is merely a useful house, and a well-loved house.”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,459,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible