A Murder at Rosamund's Gate

by Susanna Calkins

Series: Lucy Campion (1)

19122110,309 (3.5)8
For Lucy Campion, a seventeenth-century English chambermaid serving in the household of the local magistrate, life is an endless repetition of polishing pewter, emptying chamber pots, and dealing with other household chores until a fellow servant is ruthlessly killed, and someone she loves is wrongly arrested for the crime. In a time where the accused are presumed guilty until proven innocent, lawyers aren't permitted to defend their clients, and---if the plague doesn't kill them first--public executions draw a large crowd of spectators, Lucy knows she may never see this person alive again. Unless, that is, she can identify the true murderer.… (more)

Very pleasantly surprised. ( )
  knittinkitties | Aug 25, 2019 |
This historical mystery was okay, but the characters felt flat to me. I couldn't really empathize with them. Also the storyline was uneven and unbelievable in places. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
Not a terrible book but not a great one either. While I did find the mystery interesting, the author lost me when the intrepid heroine, a maidservant in 1666, performs CPR with mouth to mouth resuscitation on the Master. It is also apparent that the maidservant will likely marry the Master's son at the end of the story. Say what? Taking small liberties is one thing. Calkins' liberties were whopping.

Would I recommend it? Probably not. Would I read the next in the series if I were locked away and had nothing else to read? Sure. But only if I had nothing else. ( )
  enemyanniemae | Oct 2, 2016 |
I think its a good start for a first. Enjoy the historical setting and characters. I also was glad to see that the staff had a very good relationship with the Master & his son. I thought the inclusion of the Plague in the story was very insteresting. I look forward to the next installment... ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
The first third of this book was great. The second third put aside the mystery that was introduced in the beginning of the story and concentrated on problems that existed in London around 1665. These included inequality problems; sex, class, religious and political. The story also focused on the legal system at the time and the plague. Towards the end, the author must have panicked, realizing that she had to resolve the mystery she had introduced, so she wrapped everything up in the last 20 pages.

The history of London during this period was interesting but there was not a lot of new information presented. The mystery itself was fairly lame and the final outcome felt rushed and tacked on. Glad I borrowed this book from the library! ( )
  Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

To Matt
A great pounding at the door startled the chambermaid bending to light the morning hearth.

In Susanna Calkins's atmospheric debut novel, a chambermaid must uncover a murderer in seventeenth-century plague-ridden London

For Lucy Campion, a seventeenth-century English chambermaid serving in the household of the local magistrate, life is an endless repetition of polishing pewter, emptying chamber pots, and dealing with other household chores until a fellow servant is ruthlessly killed, and someone she loves is wrongly arrested for the crime. In a time where the accused are presumed guilty until proven innocent, lawyers aren't permitted to defend their clients, and--if the plague doesn't kill them first--public executions draw a large crowd of spectators, Lucy knows she may never see this person alive again. Unless, that is, she can identify the true murderer.

Determined to do just that, Lucy finds herself venturing out of her expected station and into raucous printers' shops, secretive gypsy camps, the foul streets of London, and even the bowels of Newgate prison on a trail that might lead her straight into the arms of the killer.

In her debut novel, Susanna Calkins seamlessly blends historical detail, romance, and mystery into a moving and highly entertaining tale.

[retrieved 2/16/2014 from Amazon.com]

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,486,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible