Vegetable Literacy: Cooking and Gardening with Twelve Families from the…

by Deborah Madison

Shows how vegetables from the same family can be interchanged to complement other flavors and includes over one hundred recipes, including grilled asparagus with tarragon butter, potato cakes with red chile molido, and chive and saffron crepes.

There are some good things here and beautiful photography, but the European leaning means that some things aren't featured enough or too much, and quantities need translating sometimes. ( )
  janemarieprice | Jun 10, 2020 |
*disclaimer* I haven't read this book from cover to cover. For me, it falls into a reference category and as such is a treasure-trove of information and ideas. It is organized by the 12 major plant families with entries on most vegetables. I've made the braised fennel with saffron and tomato which was delicious. I have had fun riffing on this sauce for the past month and it is delicious with fish. ( )
  allriledup | Aug 11, 2018 |
Really more of a coffee table book than a cook book. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Beautiful but uninspiring. And I swear by her first three cookbooks. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Excellent cookbook that groups vegetables by family and discusses the ways they work together. The book is interesting to read, and assumes some experience and intelligence in the reader. It is not purely factual, but a winning combination of information and personal experience. The recipes are excellent. ( )
1 vote dooney | May 10, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,124,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible