HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong

by Prudence Shen

Other authors: Faith Erin Hicks (Illustrator)

3193272,459 (3.84)4
"Charlie is the laid-back captain of the basketball team. Nate is the neurotic, scheming president of the robotics club. Their unlikely friendship nearly bites the dust when Nate declares war on the cheerleaders and they retaliate by making Charlie their figurehead in the ugliest class election campaign the school has ever seen. At stake is funding that will either cover a robotics competition or new cheerleading uniforms-- but not both. Bad sportsmanship? Sure. Chainsaws? Why not. Running away from home on Thanksgiving? Nothing can possibly go wrong" -- back cover.… (more)

I felt the story line with the jock (Yes, completely forgot his name in a short amount of time) with his parents are rushed (And the amount of disrespect- I was waiting for a slap or something. If I ever hung up on my parents...)
I liked Nate, he wasn't really annoying. Also I'm a sucker for two oppsitite types of people getting together. The main storyline I wasn't really impressed with, nothing different. ( )
  Summer345456 | Jan 25, 2023 |
I read such good reviews of this book, and I was disappointed. Really, guy jocks and girl cheerleaders? The nerds vs. the cheerleaders? Could we throw in a few more stereotypes? None of the characters were represented in a way that was fair or realistic. There were a couple of pages during the robot competition in the end when I liked the book, but I think that was just compared to how much I didn't enjoy the rest of it. I could see that it was supposed to be earth shattering that the nerdy main character (who was ridiculously mean, not nerdy!) and the jock guy were friends, but their characters were too flat and unbelievable to be interesting. The author boxed the characters into their gender roles and stereotypes so severely that when they were supposed to surprise you by breaking them, they still didn't seem like real people at all. There was a glimmer of interest here and there, but it could have been a lot stronger. ( )
  kamlibrarian | Dec 23, 2022 |
Great fun. I haven't read Prudence Shen's work before, but Faith Erin Hill has become a new favorite. These two made a good team for this humorous story of a rivalry between a robotics club and a cheerleading squad, and the basketball player who's stuck in the middle.

The humor was just my type, with a couple references to SF pop culture that made me laugh out loud. My favorite is when the robotics club approaches the head cheerleader's mansion of a house to propose a truce. One of the kids looks up at the house and says, "That's no moon."

So if that made you laugh, give this a whirl. The writing's funny and there's visual comedic timing as well. And there's a sense of humanity and goodness beneath it all that sets it apart from the average story playing with these stereotypes. ( )
  Harks | Dec 17, 2022 |
Reminded me a bit of Scott pilgrim. ( )
  Brian-B | Nov 30, 2022 |
Really appreciated that the girls (and guys) are actually drawn pretty realistically -- no stick-skinny women or overly muscled men, just real people. ( )
  fernandie | Sep 15, 2022 |

Prudence Shenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hicks, Faith ErinIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,866,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible