The Book of Emma Reyes by Emma Reyes

The Book of Emma Reyes

by Emma Reyes

English (7)  Spanish (1)  All languages (8)
I loved this book from the first page to the last, it was addictive. I do wish that it would have ended differently, it ended so up in the air. Emma Reyes is not a simple google search either so that I could find my ending, I just wish a few paragraphs would have been added to tie this book up with a bow for me. That is why there is a 4 star instead of a 5 star rating. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
Emma Rice takes us, in fluent language, directly and without sophistication, to her miserable childhood and youth. Without the love of a mother and father, without a hug or a friendly say, starvation, and poverty - the writer admits about her first years at a Catholic convent. She spends fifteen years of hard, humiliating education, while sometimes disgracing work, poverty, and hunger that she shares and deals with her bitter fate. Through her words that flow and sweep us, we know the dark, cold rooms of the convent, the spiteful sisters and the harsh attitude and education they gave girls. Those girls that no one is waiting for outside and only escape from the walls of the monastery will save them. ( )
  jackBROWN22 | Jan 9, 2019 |
An vividly recalled epistolary account of a miserable childhood and eventual escape. Reyes's tenacity is inspiring. ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
This is quite an amazing story. I was very sorry that it ended just as she left the convent. This wonderful artist went on to have an extraordinary life. I would have liked to learn where she went from here and how she managed to rise above this troubling childhood. ( )
  njcur | Mar 19, 2018 |

Reyes, Emmaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alarcón, DanielTranslation and Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"A literary discovery: an extraordinary account, in the tradition of The House on Mango Street and Angela's Ashes, of a Colombian woman's harrowing childhood. This astonishing memoir of a childhood lived in extreme poverty in Latin America was hailed as an instant classic when first published in Colombia in 2012, nine years after the death of its author, who was encouraged in her writing by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Comprised of letters written over the course of thirty years, and translated and introduced by acclaimed Peruvian-American writer Daniel Alarcon, it describes in vivid, painterly detail the remarkable courage and limitless imagination of a young girl growing up with nothing. Emma was an illegitimate child, raised in a windowless room in Bogota with no water or toilet and only ingenuity to keep her and her sister alive. Abandoned by their mother, she and her sister moved to a Catholic convent housing 150 orphan girls, where they washed pots, ironed and mended laundry, scrubbed floors, cleaned bathrooms, sewed garments and decorative cloths for the nuns--and lived in fear of the Devil. Illiterate and knowing nothing of the outside world, Emma escaped at age nineteen, eventually coming to have a career as an artist and to befriend the likes of Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera as well as European artists and intellectuals. Far from self-pitying, the portrait that emerges from this clear-eyed account inspires awe at the stunning early life of a gifted writer whose talent remained hidden for far too long"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,352,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible