Leonardo da Vinci by Kathleen Krull

Leonardo da Vinci

by Kathleen Krull

Other authors: Boris Kulikov (Illustrator)

Series: Giants of Science - Viking (1)

I admit. I borrowed this book from the library because of its fantastic cover. It was included in a display; I looked it over and put it back on my first pass, but then came back for it. Shamefully, I know little about da Vinci, and I thought that maybe this book, meant for school-age readers, could teach me some stuff. If nothing else, I thought, I'd admire the work of illustrator Boris Kulikov for a couple of days and then return the book to the library. As it turned out, I learned much and enjoyed learning it. So much so that I ended up buying a copy of my own to admire and reread in the years to come. (I also ordered Krull & Kulikov's Einstein and Newton and can't wait to read them.) ( )
  ReadMeAnother | Aug 13, 2019 |
Title: Leonardo da Vinci
Author: Kathleen Krull
Summery:
This book is about the life and struggles of Leonardo da Vinci. Leonardo is most famous for his painting of the Mona Lisa. He accomplished a lot of work through out his sixty seven years of life. He was a loner that spent a lot of his time writing his thoughts in a journal.
Personal Response:
I learned a great deal about Leonardo. I was unaware of the fact that he had a hand in the inventions of a lot of common everyday items that are used to day, for example, the notebook. I would have never thought that the notebook could be linked to such a brilliant artist.
Extensions:
1. The students will write a letter to Leonardo da Vinci, as though he was still living, telling him what piece of artwork they loved the most and why.
2. The students will take a virtual tour of the Leonardo da Vinci museum. ( )
  jilroebuck | Apr 22, 2008 |
This book gives an informative glimpse into the life of a fascinating man. Because it's geared toward children, the style is easily readable, and it's not bogged down with heavily descriptive information. You get the facts in a clear conversational tone. Some might question the kid-friendliness of the book, and if you're concerned perhaps read it yourself before handing it to a younger child (pre-teen). It explores certain aspects of his personal life that some might feel are inappropriate, but it's not discussed at length, and the events that it talks of do seem to be somewhat of a catalyst for da Vinci's subsequent behavior and attitude towards others and therefore worthy of mentioning.
If you're interested in learning about the art of Leonardo da Vinci, this is probably not the book for you - it delves more into the scientific aspects of his life and career. But as an engaging biography of a man clearly ahead of his time, it is superb. ( )
  virginiahomeschooler | Apr 10, 2008 |
Leonardo was alot of things, but one thing he was not was boring. Although in the children's section and touted as a children's book, I'm seriously pessimistic about the book's appropriateness for children because one of its chapters deals exclusively with the persecution of his homosexuality. It would be fine in the nonfiction section, but not in the section for the underage. ( )
  luckypiece5000 | Jun 16, 2007 |

Kathleen Krullprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kulikov, BorisIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067005920X, Hardcover)

For thirty years, the whole last half of his life, Leonardo da Vinci was obsessed with unlocking the secrets of nature. His notebooks are the mind-boggling evidence of a fifteenth-century scientist standing at the edge of the modern world, basing his ideas on observation and experimentation. Scrupulously researched, juicily anecdotal, this book will change children’s ideas of who Leonardo was and what it means to be a scientist.

Award-winning biographer Kathleen Krull will focus on five other "giants of science"— Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, Marie Curie, Sigmund Freud, and Albert Einstein. Each book presents a compelling portrait of an individual as well as a picture of the world at a particular time and place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:41 -0400)

Krull presents a vivid and highly accessible portrait of a true renaissance man--an artist, scientist, and inventer of unparalleled genius. Themes include homosexuality.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,355,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible