Love in the Time of Global Warming (2013)

by Francesca Lia Block

Series: Love in the Time of Global Warming (1)

After a devastating earthquake destroys the West Coast, causing seventeen-year-old Penelope to lose her home, her parents, and her ten-year-old brother, she navigates a dark world, holding hope and love in her hands and refusing to be defeated.

This book was a trip. Not a happy one. A very dark story of a girl trying to find her family after the world ends and there are cannibalistic giants roaming the wasteland that used to be Earth. Loosely based off of the Odyssey. I probably would have enjoyed this more if the world wasn't so awful right now. ( )
  wisemetis | Dec 6, 2020 |
Weetzie Bat Apocalypse The Odyssey. Not sure how I feel about it... ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
This one was intriguing enough to keep me reading. that's about it though. I didn't really invest in any of the characters. ultimately won't be continuing with this series. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Apr 24, 2019 |
This YA book is a beautiful, small format hardcover. It's a retelling of the Odyssey story in a present/future day Los Angeles. The protagonist is a teenage girl who is dealing with an apocalyptic event and its aftermath. She is strong, determined, and passionate. She forges her own path, convinces others to listen to her, and shows great bravery in adversity.

It's written in a beautiful magical realism style that makes the story part Dream-world, part fantasy. The young characters are interesting and diverse. The drawback is that it is confusing as a reader because the book starts out in a realistic style. A girl with a family. A girl who survives an earthquake and flood. A girl who wonders how far this event stretches and wonders if it has been locally catastrophic or wholly apocalyptic. A girl who flees for her safety from a real-world threat of looters. A girl who then immediately enters a world outside the doors of her home that is suddenly fantastic. Is this Odysseus, magical dreamworld real or imaginary?

I would have preferred the story to stay realistic or for the magical realism to have been present from the beginning. I love authors Isabelle Allende and Gabriel Garcia Marques, but they keep the reality suspended the entire time. Or not suspended, but rather seamlessly intertwined with the magic. ( )
  originalslicey | Jan 28, 2019 |
A modern-day, post-apocalyptic, Odyssey! Sound's awesome, right?

Also, Francesca Lia Block has a pretty good reputation, doesn't she?

The Story felt a little clunky to me, but that's not the reason why I'm giving this a low rating.

I'm giving this a low rating because when I open up a YA book, I'm looking to be entertained, I'm looking to maybe start a discussion on some issue, but I'm not looking to have EVERY SINGE ISSUE OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS SHOVED IN MY FACE.

Which is what this book was.

Now, to clarify, there is nothing wrong with bringing up poitns of political correctness (i.e. sexuality) but if the book is marketed as something else, it should also be about something else, like, you know, what it was marketed as. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |

Francesca Lia Blockprimary authorall editionscalculated
Swaab, NeilCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AprilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Was inspired by

Oh my child, ill-fated beyond all other mortals,
this is not Persephone, daughter of Zeus, beguiling you,
but it is only what happens when they die, to all mortals.
The sinews no longer hold the flesh and the bones together,
And once the spirit has left the white bones, all the rest
Of the body is made subject to the fire's strong fury,
But the soul flitters out like a dream and flies away.
From Homer's The Odyssey
For Jasmine, Sam, Jeni, and Ezekiel

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,887,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible