Christmas for Joshua by Avraham Azrieli

Christmas for Joshua

by Avraham Azrieli

I enjoyed this refreshing holiday tale which was anything but typical. The author does a great job of developing the main character. He is very realistic and I really felt pangs of emotions him in each difficult situation he faced. Like other reviews, I’d hope the author considers writing this same story again through the point of view of the daughter or the son-in-law. It would make for a great follow up to this story. This was a very quick read, and I would recommend it! ( )
  katiegracehunter | Jan 1, 2014 |
This book is about a good man with noble intentions, a heart surgeon,a father and devoted husband who sacrificed his faith, his belief in Christ, his love for Christmas and converted to Judaism for his wife, only to be ridiculed by his daughter's snotty orthodox new family.

First of all I was really mad on Christian Dinwall aka Rusty's behalf because at the end of the day we are ALL the same in GOD'S eyes. We are all humans regardless of our race or religion. The fact that they refused to let him participate in his only child's wedding ceremony made me see 'red' on his behalf.

Plus the BS they put him thru and the persuasion to become a 'real Jew' only ridiculed the Jewish belief/faith in my opinion.

Then his wife...OMG, I felt like hitting her across the head to make her see how ridiculous and insensitive she was.

Then Rabbi Rachel...omg I hope she gets what she deserves.

I know it's only a book but things like this happen in real life. This book made me understand some Jewish traditions and beliefs better.

This book is a FANTASTIC read, got me making side comments to myself and to people around me, while I read it. It really got to me.
I am sure the Vietnamese would appreciate Dr Christian Dinwall (I refuse to call him Rusty, lol) for the awesome human being he is and not his faith...as for his wife and new in-laws...no comment.

I have read several of Avraham Azrieli's books but this one got me really emotional. A must read!!!
  Tyra82 | Dec 7, 2013 |
This is a perfect gift for this holidays. I love, love! how the writer express in this book a complicate situation like religious and different believes can turn in a problem between people. I felt so connected with this story and how he describe all its just delightful. I will definitely recommend this book. Great option to read for any religion person or not religion as well. ( )
  annpicca | Dec 2, 2013 |
This story is a bit different from the religious & political thrillers we’re used to from Azrieli. But true to form, it sheds light on different religious sects. It delves into one man’s religious conversion in the name of love. Conversion from one religion to another is a heavy undertaking, not only for the person doing the converting, but also for the families involved. “Christmas for Joshua” is a story that tugs at the heartstrings in unexpected ways. ( )
  Sharronica | Dec 1, 2013 |
I am a huge fan of the author's murder mystery books and wanted to see what he could do with a non-violent story. He did not disappoint. Christmas for Joshua is a great story of family and a parent's dilemna when their only daughter marries someone that he deems not worthy! Rusty, a respected Arizona heart surgeon and his wife are taken aback when their only daughter, Debra, announces close to her own graduation from med school that she is engaged to be married to an Orthodox Jewish boy from NY. Rusty, a Catholic who converted to Judaism for his wife Rebecca is shaken to the core and cannot believe that Debra really means it. He sets out to prove it to himself and his wife that she is blinded by love. In the process, he risks alienating everyone that is dear to him. His journey of discovery and love for his family is heart warming. How it all works out in the end, will make you re-think your own family relationships as we head into the often troubled holiday family waters.
  LisaR. | Nov 19, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 146360288X, Paperback)

Life couldn’t be better for Rusty Dinwall—a heart surgeon, amateur pianist, and volunteer synagogue president. But when his daughter’s wedding takes an unexpected turn, life spins out of control, shattering everything he believes in. A dramatic story with memorable characters, Christmas for Joshua tackles the conflicts inherent to interfaith marriage, modern parenting, and religious intolerance, taking the reader on an entertaining and thought-provoking journey through a uniquely American Christmas experience. Praise for Avraham Azrieli’s previous novels: “The Jerusalem Inception is beautifully and superbly narrated.” Norm Goldman, Bookpleasures. “Boldly realistic plotlines and genuine, well-developed characters. Highly recommended!" Yahoo News/Politics. “Protagonist Jerusalem "Lemmy" Gerster, is the quintessential recruit.” NY Daily News. “The Jerusalem Assassin is a thoroughly compelling portrait of humanity at its best and worst. Drawn straight from the headlines of living, breathing history, the action in The Jerusalem Assassin both entertains and enlightens the reader, an impressive task that not many authors can achieve.” Josee Morgan, Apex. “The Masada Complex brims with gritty authenticity ... a genuine treat!” David Liss, author of Conspiracy of Paper, winner of Edgar. “Riveting portrayal of global intrigue!” Stella Pope Duarte, author of If I Die in Juaréz, winner of the 2009 American Book Award. About the Author: Avraham Azrieli served as an officer in the IDF Intelligence Corps before graduating from Columbia Law School in New York. His previous novels are The Masada Complex, The Jerusalem Inception and The Jerusalem Assassin. www.AzrieliBooks.com

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:47 -0400)

Avraham Azrieli is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,938,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible