The Morning Star by Robin Bridges

The Morning Star

by Robin Bridges

I have spent the last three days reading this trilogy because I just couldn’t put it down. It was addicting and when I finished each book I couldn’t wait to pick up the next one. A part of me is sad that it’s over, but at the same time I’m completely satisfied with the way it ended.

I do have to admit that as I was reading, I enjoyed each book less than the one before. However, when I finished The Morning Star, even though it’s my least favorite in the trilogy, I couldn’t give it any less than four stars. When I finished each book, the first thing I thought was that I really enjoyed it, and this one wasn’t any different. I really enjoyed this book.

This was a great end to a great trilogy. I am so glad that I’ve finally read it. ( )
  TheTreeReader | Mar 2, 2018 |
A sought after magic sword, hell-bent vampires, and a necromancer who wants nothing more than to have her powers forgotten and her dreams of being a doctor come true. There is only one slight problem, women in olde-Russia are forbidden to practice medicine by Tsar Alexander himself. Can she find the sword before the Tsar or anybody else finds it all while juggling the men in her life?

“Konstantin is coming soon, Katerina. And he is looking for you, his necromancer.”

Read the full review at http://www.musingwithcrayolakym.com/book-reviews/the-morning-star-the-katerina-t... ( )
  crayolakym | Aug 9, 2014 |
Overall, I enjoyed this series. There is something distinctly romantic and mysterious about books set in the late 1800s. I don't know what it is but I love them. It must have something to do with all the fancy dresses, the balls, the chivalry and the innocence of the characters. If you love that time period, then you'll likely enjoy these books. However despite the love of the time period these books are set in, I was left feeling like something was missing at the end of the third novel. The author did tie everything up at the end but I still felt a bit unsettled...almost like they didn't end on a happy note. And I suppose they didn't since one major issue wasn't fixed and it seemed to suggest that it didn't actually end happily for the main characters. However, I believe I felt this way because I read the historical notes at the end of the book. Read this series if you love the time period. The setting will pull you in and keep you moving through the series. ( )
  AKLibGirl | Dec 21, 2013 |
I recommend this book the last one in the trilogy by Robin Bridges. I read book 2 and gave it 5 stars. Instead of starting with what I liked let me tell you why I didn't give it 5 stars first I thought that this book was awesome but I still would love to be able to pronounce the names of all the characters. I do realize that author Robin Bridges was trying to stay true to historical names but come on with the names too much. I didn't like how there seem to be so much going on, last book it was just enough this book seemed like over kill.

*A love story
*Kidnapping
*Bewitching Dancers
*Travel to find things
and on and on....

So why did I love it because just when I thought it was going one way it went another and this trilogy is anything but predictable in a sense of overkill yes I think the author could have made this a series instead of a trilogy and author Robin Bridges is a wonderful writer. I am a history buff and in this one there is a lot of history and as a great writer she is trying to tie in true history,(bravo on the research, girl) that gave it one more star in my eyes.

I really liked this trilogy and will continue to recommend and read anything that comes my way by author Robin Bridges! ( )
  bookblogmama | Nov 2, 2013 |
An entrancing conclusion for this exotic, darkly beautiful series

This book's combination of Russian royalty with mystical occult beings is a match-up made in, well maybe not heaven, but wow! It makes an irresistible story-line for fans of YA fiction with an interest in the nineteenth century and a love of plots full of paranormal characters. The Morning Star, which is the third and final book in The Katerina Trilogy, manages to incorporate a lot of historical facts while recasting actual members of European royalty, the Russian imperial court, and St. Petersburg’s aristocracy as witches, wizards, fairies, vampires, bogatyr, necromancers, shape-shifting werewolves, and zombie-like undead fallen angel armies. Add Tibetan medical philosophy and ancient Egyptian magic to the mix, and the exotic, darkly beautiful world of this series gets even better.

The only purely fictional main character is Katerina herself, a skilled but reluctant necromancer whose passion to become a doctor threatens the love she shares with George Androvich, the current Tsar’s second oldest son and a young but powerful wizard. In this book Katerina must travel through the realm of the dead to locate the powerful sword known as the Morning Star before Konstantin Pavlovich, the long dead grandson of Catherine the Great who has possessed the body of one of Katerina’s suitors in order to overthrow Tsar Alexander III. Whoever holds the sword commands an army of supernatural soldiers and Katerina’s adventures to find it take her from a box seat in St Petersburg's resplendent Mariinsky theater to a bench in a boat guided by the jackal-headed ferryman on Egypt's River of the Dead.

It can be a little tricky keeping track of the characters, but Robin Bridges has a very helpful family tree on her website that extends from Catherine the Great to the generation of the Nicholas II, the final Tsar of Russia who is still a teenager in this book. Katrina is the only fictional character on the chart, like Nicholas II she is a great-great-great-grandchild of her namesake Catherine the Great.

http://www.robinbridges.com/html/familytree.html ( )
  Jaylia3 | Sep 9, 2013 |

St. Petersburg, Russia, 1890

Katerina Alexandrovna, Duchess of Oldenburg, wants to be known as a doctor, not a necromancer. But Tsar Alexander III forbids women to attend medical school; his interest in Katerina extends only to her ability to raise the dead. Twice now, Katerina has helped him by using her power to thwart the forces of darkness—vampires bent on resurrecting the lich tsar Konstantin Pavlovich so that he can take what he sees as his rightful place on the throne. Katerina thought she had bound Konstantin to the Greylands, the realm of the dead, but he has found a way out. Now he is searching for the Morning Star, a sword that will allow him to command a legion of supernatural warriors.

Katerina must find the sword before Konstantin does—and she must travel to Egypt to do so. Along the way, she puts up with unwanted attention from her former fiancé, the nefarious Prince Danilo, and struggles with her feelings for her true love, George Alexandrovich. But with the looming threat from Konstantin, Katerina's focus remains on the sword. Russia's fate will be determined by whoever wields the Morning Star—and delivers the final blow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:43 -0400)

"Necromancer Katerina Alexandrovna, Duchess of Oldenburg, wages her final battle against against Russia's greatest threat--Konstantin the Deathless"--

Robin Bridges is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,548,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible