Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

Crazy Rich Asians (2013)

by Kevin Kwan

Series: Crazy Rich Asians (1)

This book was so. much. fun. Definitely a bit fluffy and melodramatic in places, but overall it was a crazy romp through Asian culture, super-rich lifestyles, and family dynamics. Add in a few unexpected twists, and you have the book equivalent of chocolate cake--refined, delicious, and only a slight tummy ache from too much sugar. ( )
  melissa_faith | Mar 16, 2019 |
I know the premise of this book is for entertainment and shouldn't be taken too seriously, but really? The descriptions of every outfit, car, house, meal, etc. was really too much. It was easy to follow, but long and painfully material. There were really only two characters with a little bit of depth at all . . . I won't be reading the other books in the trilogy. ( )
  sbenne3 | Mar 10, 2019 |
This story was so big and ambitious I was honestly surprised how invested I became in the lives of all of the family members and then some.

To include a summary in my review would be a waste. Nick Young has fallen in love with Rachel Chu, Rachel wants to finally meet Nick's family, Eleanor Young has heard whispers of her son being with some random Chinese girl and knows nothing about her, Astrid Leong lives a fabulous life but it's not all champagne and roses, and Eddie Cheng is the pompous rich guy you will love to hate. You root for Rachel and Astrid because of how good human beings they are. While you don't understand Nick or Eleanor at first you still want to like them anyway. Nick with his charming demeanor and Eleanor with her misguided but love and protective nature when it comes to her son. Anytime something stupid happens to Eddie you get a good laugh at his misfortune.

And I'm going to give a shoutout to Peik Lin, Michael, and Charlie. These secondary characters made the relationships they had with specific main characters made me like all of them so much more.

I wouldn't say this book is hilarious or overly romantic. I felt as nosy as Cassandra Shang or "Radio One Asia" while I was reading but it was just too much of a juicy story not to keep reading. I'm really excited to pick up the next two books. ( )
  Jessika.C | Mar 9, 2019 |
Weak writing, weak character development, a plot that moves rather slowly. But, somehow, entertaining enough to get me to the end. Don't expect much from this book. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
Oh my god, this fucking book. This is definitely the worst book I’ve read this year. In fact, I hated pretty much every moment and every page and if I had a paper copy, I’d Angela-Bassett-in-Waiting-to-Exhale the shit out of this thing.

So there are a few things to object to here. First, whatever the author’s goal was, he failed to achieve it. If he was trying to write a satire, he spent too much time trying to make his characters likeable and give us a happy ending, which really took all the bite out of what could have been a very sharp novel. If he wasn’t trying to write a satire, then he severely miscalculated and assumed that reading a book about horrible people would somehow magically transform into a pleasant experience. That’s not how it works. For three, the plot was paper thin, there were far more characters than there needed to be, and the POV and time jumping was difficult to follow.

But the bit that bothers me most is treatment of women. Let me shout this out for the folks in the back like Kevin Kwan, who apparently haven’t heard this enough yet: NO MEANS NO. If someone says, “I’m breaking up with you,” take them at their word. If someone says, “I don’t want to see you again,” take them at their word. If someone says, “Leave me alone,” take them at their word. “No” is not an invitation to a negotiation, it’s not romantic to follow someone around and harass them under the guise of winning them back, and it’s infuriatingly disrespectful to assume you know more about what someone wants than the person themselves.

And! If you’re going to ignore all of that and try to sell the toxic idea that someone will love you if you just wear them down enough, then for the love of all that’s holy don’t undercut your own point. If you write about Couple A, wherein Character B listens when Character C tells him to leave her alone, and play that up as the right thing to do and true love’s noble sacrifice (when really, I’d just say character B is being a minimally decent person), then you can’t turn around and play up Couple B, wherein Character C hounds Character D until she gives in and then tell us that’s the way it should be done. That just highlights how much of an asshole Character C is, how incredibly immature he is, and how much better off Character D was without him. And if the best note your grand love story can end on is one of resigned acceptance because one partner was badgered until she gave in, well...take another run at that draft, homie, because that does not a good story make.
  mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |

Kevin Kwanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carella, MariaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wong, JoanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mother and father
Nicholas Young slumped into the nearest seat in the hotel lobby, drained from the sixteen-hour flight from Singapore, the train ride from Heathrow Airport, and trudging through the rain-soaked streets.

Crazy Rich Asians is the outrageously funny debut novel about three super-rich, pedigreed Chinese families and the gossip, backbiting, and scheming that occurs when the heir to one of the most massive fortunes in Asia brings home his ABC (American-born Chinese) girlfriend to the wedding of the season.
When Rachel Chu agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with her boyfriend, Nicholas Young, she envisions a humble family home, long drives to explore the island, and quality time with the man she might one day marry. What she doesn't know is that Nick's family home happens to look like a palace, that she'll ride in more private planes than cars, and that with one of Asia's most eligible bachelors on her arm, Rachel might as well have a target on her back. Initiated into a world of dynastic splendor beyond imagination, Rachel meets Astrid, the It Girl of Singapore society; Eddie, whose family practically lives in the pages of the Hong Kong socialite magazines; and Eleanor, Nick's formidable mother, a woman who has very strong feelings about who her son should--and should not--marry. Uproarious, addictive, and filled with jaw-dropping opulence, Crazy Rich Asians is an insider's look at the Asian JetSet; a perfect depiction of the clash between old money and new money; between Overseas Chinese and Mainland Chinese; and a fabulous novel about what it means to be young, in love, and gloriously, crazily rich.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:06 -0400)

Envisioning a summer vacation in the humble Singapore home of a boy she hopes to marry, Chinese American Rachel Chu is unexpectedly introduced to a rich and scheming clan that strongly opposes their son's relationship with an American girl.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,460,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible