The crown tower : book one of the Riyria…

The crown tower : book one of the Riyria chronicles (edition 2013)

by Michael J. Sullivan

Member:ccooney
Title:The crown tower : book one of the Riyria chronicles
Authors:Michael J. Sullivan
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

The Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan

Picked this up on a whim from the local library (on audio). I didn't have high hopes because I had never heard of the author. So I knew I was taking a chance that it might be some poorly-written, trite, independently-published drivel. What a surprise.

This is definitely not "high fantasy", there aren't any monsters, non-human races and only the slightest hint of magic, which is usually a negative for me, but it was great. I really came to love and route for the characters, I was sad when people died, and impressed by plot twists I didn't expect. Also the introduction was hilarious.

This isn't a serious epic/tragedy like Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones, there aren't 100 characters and 500 pages of back story, it's a story about a couple of people trying to survive and I guess it's also about some heroes meeting for the first time (it's kind of a prequel to a larger series, that I will be looking into).

I would definitely suggest this book to teen readers, but that's definitely not to say older readers (like myself) wouldn't like it. There's plenty of action, lots of talk about prostitution, but not actually any detailed sex scenes. There's a strong female main character, an honorable male main character, and a not so honorable male main character and that's really what this story is about, characters. ( )
  ragwaine | Oct 14, 2018 |
I am reading these books in all the wrong order, so my review may reflect that. This is the 'middle' series of Sullivan's Riyria books. The Riyria Revelations trilogy was written first, then this book, then the 'Age' series. I happened to start with Age of Myth, which is chronologically first but written after these books, then I picked up The Crown Tower, which chronologically came next. Sometimes while reading this one it was clear I'd missed something that was probably mentioned in the Revelations trilogy.
This book 'introduces' the characters of Hadrian and Royce to each other. Royce and Hadrian, one a fighter and one a rogue fill familiar roles, the one that came to mind first was Lieber's Fahfrd and the Grey Mouser. Hadrian is an amazing fighter and almost a knight, in a good way, but kind of clueless about people and is trying to find his place in the world. Royce is a sociopath and great thief. Of course the two of them get thrown together on an impossible mission, to fulfill some purpose unknown to everyone - except probably those people who have read the last trilogy! Even out of order I enjoyed this book, though some of the interesting minor characters don't get enough time. The author also uses one of my least favorite fantasy language constructs 'okay'. Despite that, the writing is good, the book is hard to put down and while a little light on action, fun to read. ( )
  Karlstar | Jun 18, 2018 |
A fun fantasy novel that whetted my appetite for more in this series. It will be interesting to read more in the development of the partnership of Royce and Hadrian.

4 Stars for a fun read. ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
I love the Riyria Chronicles!

I adore what Michael J. Sullivan has created with the Riyria Chronicles. A partnership forged in fire with the brilliance of a master storyteller. It has all the necessary ingredients to sink your teeth into. Royce and Hadrian are quite the pair. I love Sullivan's brand of storytelling. ( )
  BenjaminThomas | Mar 16, 2018 |
Another great addition to the Riyria stories! I really enjoyed this origin story and getting to know Royce and Hadrian before the Revelations series :) and seeing how Gwen established herself was really awesome as well! :) Great character development and a really fun, fast-paced adventure :) Cannot wait to get started with The Rose and the Thorn! ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |

Thieving assassin Royce Melborn and warrior Hadrian Blackwater are forced to work together to steal a treasure that no one can reach in the Crown Tower, an impregnable fortress that houses the realm's most prized possessions.

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,721,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible