Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Lost Husband: A Novel by Katherine…

The Lost Husband: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Katherine Center (Author)

Crazy Aunt Jean has offered Libby an escape from her hypercritical mother--a job and a place to live on her farm in the Texas Hill Country. Life on Aunt Jean's goat farm is both more wonderful and more mysterious than Libby could have imagined.
Member:juliarum
Title:The Lost Husband: A Novel
Authors:Katherine Center (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2013), 304 pages

The Lost Husband by Katherine Center

As Katherine Center has become a favorite author of mine, I’m working my way thru some of her older books. The Lost Husband is a sweet book. It was recently released as a Netflix movie with Josh Duhamel. You can’t go wrong with this book or the movie, that sticks pretty close to the book. ( )
  julesbailey9 | Sep 16, 2020 |
Somehow this book combined chicklit tropes (Finding peace on the family farm! Handsome loner! Adorable children! etc.) into an original and compulsively readable story. ( )
  TheFictionAddiction | Aug 12, 2020 |
Obviously most people in a bad situation wouldn’t be lucky enough to have an aunt out of nowhere offer them a job, a home, and childcare, so I guess you could call it an unrealistic setup, but it’s not like Libby doesn’t still have plenty of other hardships on her plate, she’s still working through the grief of losing her husband, dealing with a mother who is far from loving and who harbors a significant secret, and her daughter’s being bullied.

While I might have liked a bit more of the day to day farm work, otherwise this was such a satisfying read. Libby strikes up an unlikely friendship that was both fun and heartfelt. Aunt Jean’s lovably pragmatic with a truly touching backstory. The romance moved at just the right pace given the baggage that needed to be dealt with on both sides. The lack of an easy solution to the daughter being bullied gave that part of the story for the most part a feeling of authenticity, and even if O’Connor’s intervention in the litigious real world probably wouldn’t have turned out well for him (and was morally sketchy), on the scale of unintentionally romantic gestures that rated pretty high up there.

Even though there is some angst and emotion, The Lost Husband is definitely a feel-good experience and if you’re in the mood for something on the quieter side, this worked wonderfully well as an outdoors read with just the birds chirping for company. ( )
  SJGirl | May 31, 2020 |
The Lost Husband is a light-hearted and thought-provoking novel that is engaging and witty. Katherine Center’s character development is flawless and she brings them vibrantly to life. A delightful story of family, friends and love that I absolutely loved and heartily recommend. Please click HERE to read my review in its entirety. ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |
Good reading by lantern light during a hurricane. I like the easy flow, with depth to the writing and characters that I find in Katherine Center's books. ( )
  bookczuk | Sep 16, 2019 |
For my sweet children, Anna and Thomas, who have given me a whole new understanding of love.
My husband had been dead for three years before I started trying to contact him.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Katherine Center's book The Lost Husband was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,531,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible