American Honor Killings: Desire and Rage Among Men

by David McConnell

In American honor killings, David McConnell explores the roots of hatred and male sexual violence by examing a series of murders of gay men that are among the most notorious crimes of our era. Through jailhouse interviews and painstaking research, McConnell creates shockingly intimate portraits of the killers' inner lives.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through the Early Reviewers program.

This book is not what I expected at all. From the blurb and the cover, I was expecting and looking forward to an insightful academic treatment of toxic masculinity, but McConnell’s analysis fell short here. Instead, as other reviewers have said, this is more of a true crime genre presentation of several murders of gay men.

That being said, the journalistic styling delivers an emotional gut punch underscored by the gray ambiguity of McConnell’s profiles.

The descriptions of each murder are extremely graphic and I did have a hard time getting through the entire book for that reason as well. ( )
  boingerhead | Oct 9, 2021 |
An exercise in complicating the stories of hate crimes, from the well-known to the obscure. McConnell frames these stories of the murders of gay men by other men (frequently of ambiguous sexuality) as "honor killings" rather than hate crimes, pointing out that there's usually a lot more going on than simple gay panic or distaste for gay men. This is rough going - there's a lot of graphic description of the murders - but interesting and valuable in its careful treatment of masculinity. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Aug 17, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. It was well researched and very well written. Sometimes it is hard to read but well worth the time. ( )
  NickKnight | Aug 22, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this book through the Early Reviewer program. It was a great read, with clear and powerful writing that was a good balance between journalistic clarity and emotional power. I thought that the ambiguity of David McConnell's overall theme worked well, and his inability to find deep meaning in the crimes he depicts is compelling and useful. The stories chosen were different enough from each other to make each one interesting as the book progresses, and similar enough to be worth comparing and contrasting. There are moments of American Honor Killings that I won't soon forget... like depictions of one of the killers walking in the desolate midwest contemplating his surroundings.... chilling and wonderful. ( )
  the_darling_copilots | Dec 4, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I tried to read this book and it was pretty tough to read. I skipped the blah blah blah at the beginning and went to the story part and that part was ok, so the author can write and be interesting, but then it got back into the blah blah and I just couldnt get into it. It was dry and he talked above my head. Just not interesting to me and I had to stop. ( )
  jlouise77 | Jun 28, 2013 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

David McConnell's book American Honor Killings: Desire and Rage Among Men was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Akashic Books

An edition of this book was published by Akashic Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,173,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible