I Survived the Battle of Gettysburg, 1863 (I…

I Survived the Battle of Gettysburg, 1863 (I Survived #7) (2013)

by Lauren Tarshis

"It's 1863, and Thomas and his little sister, Birdie, have fled the farm where they were born and raised as slaves. Following the North Star, looking for freedom, they soon cross paths with a Union soldier. Everything changes: Corporal Henry Green brings Thomas and Birdie back to his regiment, and suddenly it feels like they've found a new home. Best of all, they don't have to find their way north alone--they're marching with the army. But then orders come through: the men are called to battle in Pennsylvania. Thomas has made it so far... but does he have what it takes to survive Gettysburg?"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

I Survived The Battle of Gettysburg (Lauren Tarshis) New York: Scholastic: 2013

Historical fiction, Primary

Summary: Thomas and Birdie are escaped slaves who are saved by union soldiers. They travel with them to the battle of Gettysburg where Thomas's savior, Henry is killed. Thomas and Birdie travel to Vermont to live with Henry's family.

Critique:
This story depicts the bloody and brutal battle of Gettysburg. It is easy to read and easy to relate to.

Activity:(before)
What would you do if you were a slave during the war?
  RachaelWilley | Feb 25, 2019 |
I liked this book, but wish it had been handled differently. Little of it is actually about Gettysburg. I would have liked if the author had separated this into two separate books - one following the main characters focusing on "I Survived the Underground Railroad" and one that follows someone actually IN the battle of Gettysburg (using the title of this book). ( )
  benuathanasia | Mar 22, 2018 |
Thomas and his sister Birdie are slaves during the time of the civil war. After their Mother passes away and their cousin escapes being sold to another plantation, Thomas discovers that he is about to be sold too! Instead of accepting his fate he and his sister decide to run away north to freedom. Along the way, they run into a troop of Union soldiers and are taken back to camp. There they help out and make friends among the men serving. Unfortunately, a great battle is just around the corner. Will they survive and make it north?

This is another excellent addition to the "I survived" series. My students love these books and they rarely stay on the shelves for very long. They are also good read-aloud books for younger grades. I like that the author includes facts and recommended reading at the end of the book. This is a good way to introduce facts about the civil war to emergent chapter readers. BY THE WAY, I USED GRAMMARLY TO HELP WITH MY GRAMMAR ( )
  HunterHB2 | Oct 25, 2017 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 10, 2017 |
This is the 7th book in the "I survived" series. In the year of 1863, Thomas and his younger sister, Birdie, have ran away from their home in a desperate attempt to free themselves from slavery. They meet a Union solider that is in trouble and help him. In return, he helps them by attaching them to his unit. It is during this time, that the children find themselves in the middle of the Battle of Gettysburg. The children survive, but their friend does not. They go on to live with his family in freedom in the state of Vermont.
I think that they book does a good job conveying the horrors of both slavery and war in a way that elementary school aged children can grasp with it being too frightening.
Curriculum connection: Civil war, slavery, reading comprehension, vocabulary, point of view ( )
  danielle.trotter | Apr 9, 2016 |
To Karen Tarshis, my beautiful mom
It was the battle of Gettysburg, the biggest and bloodiest of the Civil War.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,518,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible