Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 Library Edition: Volume 3 (2012)

by Joss Whedon

Series: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 (Library 3: Issues 21-30)

In a strange turn of events, Buffy begins to experience Twilight's reach through the growing mass popularity of vampires-they even have a spokesperson with a reality TV show, Harmony Kendall! Rebel Slayer Faith continues on her journey to help other directionless Slayers, and Slayer Simone has also come back onto the Scoobies' radar. Meanwhile, Dawn finally deals with her ongoing growing pains. Collects Buffy Season 8 #21-#30, and, from MySpace Dark Horse Presents, "Harmony Bites", "Harmony Comes to the Nation", and "Vampy Cat Play Friend".… (more)

I've shelved this as a naffic-grovel but it isn't really; it's a collection of comics. Which is one reason why I am not all that keen; it's too episodic - not structured much like a novel at all. Bits of it stand out as really good, other bits fade quickly from memory. The best bits seem to have been written by Jane Espenson, who, whilst not being a legend, like Joss Whedon, has contributed to numerous SF/fantasy/supernatural TV shows as a writer and for me stands out as the best Buffy writer there was who wasn't called Joss. She seems to have remembered what everybody else (including Joss) has forgotten in the transfer away from TV to comic; Buffy was a show about a family with fairly normal problems...plus demons and demon fighters and bad guys who were funny. The epic scale open to people who can draw anything they want instead of having to film it is actually a distraction. Guns are getting more prevalent; they were a rarity in the TV show and always used with care aforethought. Here we have a pitched battle with tanks, torpedoes and AK47s. Hardly feels like Buffy at all.

Another problem I have with the transfer to comics is that it is quite difficult to tell which character is which sometimes. Xander is pretty distinctive with his eye patch but the ever increasing number of Slayers get harder and harder to differentiate which makes what relationship based story-lines there are harder to follow. And is it really about Buffy anymore? Seems like she is barely even first among equals here.

That said, I will see out Season 8 and complete my set of these four Library Editions, which are gorgeous, with their larger format, hard covers and bonus material in the back, before deciding whether to bail and read Dollhouse instead...although the magic bomb at the end of Season 2 of that still bugs me... ( )
  Arbieroo | Jul 17, 2020 |

I like that OZ came back. He was good stuff.
I want my own Vampy Cat, but not an evil one. Just a normal one. He's a cutie.

Can't wait to get Volume 4. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
So more Buffy episodes, this time Buffy is trying to keep as many people safe as she can, dealing with the fact that Harmony is changing the public opinion of people towards vampires with her reality show. In fact people are starting to have very negative opinions of the slayers, and Buffy can't do much to change this opinon.

I'm enjoying this season and the characters and what they're doing, the artwork is sometimes a bit hit and miss for me but otherwise it's a fun sequel to the TV series. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Nov 19, 2013 |
Deluxe Library edition.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,713,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible