Haus der Geister: Roman by John Boyne

Haus der Geister: Roman (original 2013; edition 2016)

by John Boyne (Author), Sonja Finck (Übersetzer)

Member:TheFallingAlice
Title:Haus der Geister: Roman
Authors:John Boyne (Author)
Other authors:Sonja Finck (Übersetzer)
Info:Piper Taschenbuch (2016), 336 Seiten

This House is Haunted by John Boyne (2013)

Florence and Giles by John Harding (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Both are historical gothic mysteries that are heavily influenced by Henry Jame's The Turn of the Screw.

English (42)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All (44)
Goodreads Giveaway. I didn't enjoy this book very much. I found the writing style quite mechanical and detached, and I felt no sympathy whatsoever to any of the characters. It also wasn't scary/chilling/frightening (whichever word you want to use), which I feel should be an important element of horror novels, in spite what the author may or may not be trying to achieve. Fans of horror might enjoy this book, but I read it, hoping to be scared; hence my disappointment. ( )
  peapea | May 6, 2017 |
Eliza Caine has just lost her father, and mired in grief, answers an advertisement for a governess. But even before her arrival, strange and dangerous things begin to happen to her, occurrences that only get worse once she makes it to Gaudlin Hall.

This is a well-written scary story. The eeriness builds subtly at first, then crescendos. I love a good, gothic ghost story, especially one that reminds me of The Turn of the Screw, and this book checks all those boxes.

Eliza Caine is also a very strong female character who you can't help but root for. She makes for a compelling, complex narrator.

The story started out slow, and took a while to get going. I know this was to build suspense, but the story didn't really get very interesting until Eliza arrived at Gaudlin Hall.

If you like gothic horror and ghost stories, this is a book I would recommend. It's not one I imagine I will be re reading, but I did enjoy reading it. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Apr 1, 2017 |
76/150 ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
a bit predictable but a good ghost story none the less. ( )
  mystic506 | Sep 3, 2016 |
This book probably would have gotten 5 stars from me if it hadn't started off so painfully slow. I almost didn't finish it because the beginning dragged on so much. I understand that the author was trying to give background, but it definitely needed a little editing. However, when the action began it went full tilt until the very end. I found myself spending every free moment I had trying to find out what happened next and I was not disappointed by the ending. It was not what I expected, but it was absolutely perfect! I'm so glad I didn't give up on this one. ( )
  jguidry | Jul 28, 2016 |
BLOODY DISGUSTING bloody-disgusting.com
[BEST & WORST '13] Top 10 Horror Novels of the Year!

6. (Tie) The Darkling, by R.B. Chesterton (April 1; Pegasus)
This House is Haunted, John Boyne (October 8; Other Press)

These slow-burn ghost stories are equally good, and they have too much in common not to share a spot on this list. Both are deeply rooted in the gothic tradition, and if you like one, you’re virtually guaranteed to dig the hell out of the other. R.B. Chesterton is the alias for Carolyn Haines, the author of a cheeky series of novels about a female P.I., while John Boyne wrote The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, which Miramax made into a heart-crushing movie. But strange minds think alike. The authors did some sort of Vulcan mind meld for their respective ghost stories, resulting in a killer double-feature custom-made for fans of movies like The Others and The Orphanage.

For Sinéad
I blame Charles Dickens for the death of my father.

Written in Dickensian prose, This House is Haunted is a striking homage to the classic nineteenth-century ghost story. In Norfolk, England, in 1867, Eliza Caine responds to an ad for a governess position at Gaudlin Hall. When she arrives, shaken by an unsettling disturbance that occurred during her travels, she is greeted by the two children now in her care, Isabella and Eustace. There is no adult present to represent her mysterious employer, and the children offer no explanation. Later that night in her room, another terrifying experience further reinforces the sense that something is very wrong.

From the moment Eliza rises the following morning, her every step seems dogged by a malign presence that lives within Gaudlin's walls. Eliza realizes that if she and the children are to survive its violent attentions, she must first uncover the hall's long-buried secrets and confront the demons of its past.

Clever, captivating, and witty, This House is Haunted is pure entertainment, with a catch.

A ghost resides at
Gaudlin Hall, and it's after
The new governess.
(passion4reading)

1867. Eliza Caine arrives in Norfolk to take up her position as governess at Gaudlin Hall on a dark and chilling night. As she makes her way across the station platform, a pair of invisible hands push her from behind into the path of an approaching train. She is only saved by the vigilance of a passing doctor. When she finally arrives, shaken, at the hall she is greeted by the two children in her care, Isabella and Eustace. There are no parents, no adults at all, and no one to represent her mysterious employer. The children offer no explanation. Later that night in her room, a second terrifying experience further reinforces the sense that something is very wrong. From the moment she rises the following morning, her every step seems dogged by a malign presence which lives within Gaudlin's walls. Eliza realizes that if she and the children are to survive its violent attentions, she must first uncover the hall's long-buried secrets and confront the demons of its past.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,457,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible