Haus der Geister: Roman by John Boyne

Haus der Geister: Roman (original 2013; edition 2016)

by John Boyne (Author), Sonja Finck (Übersetzer)

Member:TheFallingAlice
Title:Haus der Geister: Roman
Authors:John Boyne (Author)
Other authors:Sonja Finck (Übersetzer)
Info:Piper Taschenbuch (2016), 336 Seiten

This House is Haunted by John Boyne (2013)

Florence and Giles by John Harding (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: Both are historical gothic mysteries that are heavily influenced by Henry Jame's The Turn of the Screw.

English (40)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All (42)
76/150 ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
a bit predictable but a good ghost story none the less. ( )
  mystic506 | Sep 3, 2016 |
This book probably would have gotten 5 stars from me if it hadn't started off so painfully slow. I almost didn't finish it because the beginning dragged on so much. I understand that the author was trying to give background, but it definitely needed a little editing. However, when the action began it went full tilt until the very end. I found myself spending every free moment I had trying to find out what happened next and I was not disappointed by the ending. It was not what I expected, but it was absolutely perfect! I'm so glad I didn't give up on this one. ( )
  jguidry | Jul 28, 2016 |
After the death of her father Eliza Caine moves to Norfolk to be governess to two children at Gaudlin Hall, but from the moment she steps off of the train you begin to wonder what she has signed up for.

Gaudlin Hall is clearly a house where something very wrong has happened and Eliza is certainly not made welcome by its otherworldly inhabitant.

The book follows Eliza’s attempts to unravel the events that led to the house being haunted and the truth is slowly and gradually revealed as she befriends and talks to some of the residents of the village who knew the family before tragedy struck.

I really enjoyed this book, I liked the pace of it and was intrigued as to what dark and sinister secrets the house held and how Eliza would cope with her time there. It's spooky and unsettling in places, but not scary as such and it kept me gripped from start to finish. ( )
  LKChapman | Jul 16, 2016 |
In 1867, Eliza Cain responds to n ad for a governess position at Gauldin Hall. She gets the position sight unseen and no questions asked. From the beginning she feels that something is off and that is only intensified when she arrives late at night and is greeted only by two young children.

From the moment she rises the following morning and each day thereafter her every step is dogged by a malign presence that lives within these ancient walls. To make matters even worse it seems another ghost has joined the first one in residence only this one seems determined to protect rather than harm her. Eliza soon uncovers the hall's long buried secrets and confronts the demons of it's past.

At first I wasn't at all sure that the language of the book wasn't going to be a turn off, but as soon as you get used to the Dickensian prose that the writer uses, you realize that it is perfect for the telling of this tale. it's a wonderful, scary and gripping ghost story...with an unexpected ending. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
BLOODY DISGUSTING bloody-disgusting.com
[BEST & WORST '13] Top 10 Horror Novels of the Year!

6. (Tie) The Darkling, by R.B. Chesterton (April 1; Pegasus)
This House is Haunted, John Boyne (October 8; Other Press)

These slow-burn ghost stories are equally good, and they have too much in common not to share a spot on this list. Both are deeply rooted in the gothic tradition, and if you like one, you’re virtually guaranteed to dig the hell out of the other. R.B. Chesterton is the alias for Carolyn Haines, the author of a cheeky series of novels about a female P.I., while John Boyne wrote The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, which Miramax made into a heart-crushing movie. But strange minds think alike. The authors did some sort of Vulcan mind meld for their respective ghost stories, resulting in a killer double-feature custom-made for fans of movies like The Others and The Orphanage.

For Sinéad
I blame Charles Dickens for the death of my father.

Written in Dickensian prose, This House is Haunted is a striking homage to the classic nineteenth-century ghost story. In Norfolk, England, in 1867, Eliza Caine responds to an ad for a governess position at Gaudlin Hall. When she arrives, shaken by an unsettling disturbance that occurred during her travels, she is greeted by the two children now in her care, Isabella and Eustace. There is no adult present to represent her mysterious employer, and the children offer no explanation. Later that night in her room, another terrifying experience further reinforces the sense that something is very wrong.

From the moment Eliza rises the following morning, her every step seems dogged by a malign presence that lives within Gaudlin's walls. Eliza realizes that if she and the children are to survive its violent attentions, she must first uncover the hall's long-buried secrets and confront the demons of its past.

Clever, captivating, and witty, This House is Haunted is pure entertainment, with a catch.

A ghost resides at
Gaudlin Hall, and it's after
The new governess.
(passion4reading)

1867. Eliza Caine arrives in Norfolk to take up her position as governess at Gaudlin Hall on a dark and chilling night. As she makes her way across the station platform, a pair of invisible hands push her from behind into the path of an approaching train. She is only saved by the vigilance of a passing doctor. When she finally arrives, shaken, at the hall she is greeted by the two children in her care, Isabella and Eustace. There are no parents, no adults at all, and no one to represent her mysterious employer. The children offer no explanation. Later that night in her room, a second terrifying experience further reinforces the sense that something is very wrong. From the moment she rises the following morning, her every step seems dogged by a malign presence which lives within Gaudlin's walls. Eliza realizes that if she and the children are to survive its violent attentions, she must first uncover the hall's long-buried secrets and confront the demons of its past.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,386,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible