The Pagan Lord: A Novel (Saxon Tales) by…

The Pagan Lord: A Novel (Saxon Tales) (edition 2014)

by Bernard Cornwell

6041924,635 (4.03)14
Member:LukeS
Title:The Pagan Lord: A Novel (Saxon Tales)
Authors:Bernard Cornwell
Info:Harper (2014), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:***

The Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell

English (18)  Czech (1)  All languages (19)
(23) Well, It is good to be back with Uhtred Uhtredsom in 9th century Great Britain as the wars rage for control of the island between the Saxons and the Danes. It has been almost 20 years of peace and Uhtred's children have grown up; he has grown old (in his 50's which is fairly ancient for the time) But frankly, nothing really seems to have changed.

In this one Uhtred feeling old and tossed aside decides to finally make a go at Bebbanburg - his ancestral home that was stolen from him as a child by his uncle -- - I won't spoil, but it is the most interesting part of this installment. Otherwise, kinda more of the same. Although Uhtred's grown up sons come into play a bit, one could wish they were stronger characters and without King Alfred around there is really no famous historical person in the story to hold on to. But, nevertheless, the pages fly by . . . and the ending - Is it a bit of a cliff hanger?

I will definitely finish the series. And hopefully there is another Netflix season coming. Guilty pleasure; fabulous escapist storytelling with at least a sheen of history. ( )
  jhowell | Apr 26, 2018 |
The series is getting a bit repetitive at this point... but I keep reading them. Wyrd bid ful araed. C'mon Uhtred, Bebbanburg is calling you! ( )
1 vote LongTrang117 | Oct 6, 2017 |
Duplicate for Philadelphia
  scarycreek | Feb 18, 2017 |
While Bernard Cornwell writes with great authority, impeccable historical knowledge and research, his usually snappy narratives and tight dialogue stuttered to a halt in this continuation of The Saxon Stories.

The story opens with the protagonist's holding burned and destroyed, his wife and children taken captive, and then, instead of doing the logical thing, the thing someone of Utrecht's age would do to protect the land and wealth he has remaining, he goes off on an ill-considered and adolescent charge across country to reclaim the impenetrable fortress which is his heritage, with a dozen faithful and under-equipped. Against an impenetrable fortress. With a dozen men. And no equipment. I had to keep telling myself that as the story descended into the ridiculous and incredible.

When of course that mission fails, and he is now well and truly broke and broken, he again instead of rebuilding his holdings, he charges off on another wild and hopeless rampage to take a fortified town. And guess what? That mission also fails, so that he's in even more dire straits and barking about it to anyone who will listen.

The whole novel is like this. For a while I thought perhaps I'd missed the point, and Cornwell was in fact writing satire. But no.

And so no to the remainder of the series, given how badly this novel devolved into nonsensical rambling. ( )
  fiverivers | Feb 15, 2017 |
OK, Cornwell is wonderfully consistently entertaining. The plot twists and turns. Somehow Uhtred survives, again and again. Of course, he's telling the story, so it's a bit obvious. But still Cornwell can keep us on the edges of our seats.

I know folks who just can't get enough Cornwell. Maybe it's like pizza. We have a bit of family conflict - whole wheat crust, or white flour? I like the extra nutrition and the staying power of the whole wheat. Ah, but I get over-ruled. Even with white flour, surely pizza is a lot more nutritious than e.g. a soft drink! Yeah, Cornwell is maybe like pizza, I would say like white flour pizza. Easy to digest! Definitely nutritious if you aren't too fussy about such things! Delicious, for sure! But I am thinking, hmmm, if I really want to develop myself, maybe a bit more substance for me! Who knows, every once in a while, pizza is fun. I may be back, but I think I'll take a break for now! ( )
  kukulaj | Mar 25, 2016 |
A dark sky.

"New York Times bestselling author Bernard Cornwell returns to his epic Saxon Tales saga with The Pagan Lord, a dramatic story of divided loyalties, bloody battles, and the struggle to unite Britain.At the onset of the tenth century, England is in turmoil. Alfred the Great is dead and Edward his son reigns as king. Wessex survives but peace cannot hold: the Danes in the north, led by Viking Cnut Longsword, stand ready to invade and will never rest until the emerald crown is theirs. Uhtred, once Alfred's great warrior but now out of favor with the new king, must lead a band of outcasts north to recapture his old family home, that great Northumbrian fortress, Bebbanburg.In The Pagan Lord, loyalties will be divided and men will fall, as every Saxon kingdom is drawn into the bloodiest battle yet with the Danes; a war which will decide the fate of every king, and the entire English nation"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,432,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible