dismiss

Surrender to the Earl

by Gayle Callen

Audrey Blake's plan to take ownership of property rightfully hers unravels quickly when Robert, the man she asks to help her, insists they pretend to be engaged. Duty may have brought Robert to Audrey's doorstep, but he yearns to convince her that they could both benefit from making it real.

This second book of the Brides of Redemption trilogy in which three friends and soldiers who are returning to England from India in a need of redemption after an incident that all three were involved, we watch Robert Henslow, Earl of Knightsbridge meet his true love.

I loved the first story, ‘Return of the Viscount’ [my review is here] and I was really looking forward to this one.

You know how some books lean more to either heroes or heroines, meaning we have more of a character development of one and not enough of the other? Well in this one I ....thanks for jumping to b2b to finish reading my review...

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy from the publisher ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
This is a lovely story of a young widow who is blind and virtually held prisoner in her father's country estate. Until the Earl of Knightsbridge shows up and offers to help her. Seeing a chance to escape, Audrey agrees to a false engagement to the earl, and he whisks her off to her own estate, inherited from her late husband, located only a few miles from his own.

Audrey struggles to establish her independence, despite recalcitrant servants, the occasionally patronizing attitude of the earl, and a sudden unwanted visit from her snooty sister. But her hardest struggle is against the growing affection between her and the earl. She has no desire to give up her hard-won independence to marry again and believes that the earl is helping her only because of guilt over causing her husband's death.

After a few weeks, the earl proposes that he and Audrey make their engagement real. Audrey is very (overly) stubborn, but the earl is persistent and patient -- which is nice in a suitor but it means the second half of the book drags a bit.

As I said it's lovely story, and I enjoyed it. And yet, a month after I read it I had forgotten everything that happened and had to quickly reread to write this review. So, I'm calling this one a 3.5.

Many thanks to Avon and Edelweiss for an ARC of this book. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
An appealingly independent-minded heroine, a hero who wants to help her, and some genuinely confounding secrets add up to a satisfying romance. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Jun 27, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,103,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible