Regenland, wo ai ni by Lulu Wang

Regenland, wo ai ni (2012)

by Lulu Wang

English (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (2)
I have a signed copy :-) that came together with a postcard portrait of the author, styled in the manner of the book's illustrations. Very nice & colorful!

Well, what can I say about this little book? It is MUCH less book than the author's other books when one counts pages. It does have humor, that's true.
And then there was a long silence. Why? Well, because I was a bit disappointed. In this book I miss so much of what I've grown used to in her other books, that it almost feels like it was someone else who wrote it. Okay maybe a concession to the form of the book: novella / short story combined with book app made it necessary to make adjustments in writing style, but it is not an adjustment that I like a lot. I love books that have more than one story line, that have complicated / layered sentences, that are one way or another thought provoking. This book has neither and is also not particularly inviting to think about the contents. It really was a light 'in between' read that won't linger on very long.
Like I said above, it has humor, but well, that's about it. It didn't really make me look into the mirror, as I would have expected with a book that is about my country and its (curious) habits seen through the eyes of a foreigner.
It simply tells a few stories about differences in culture / habits that all people who have either been abroad for a while or have had foreign visitors for more than a couple of weeks have experienced. It really was nothing new.

I expected a more philosophical inclination (more depth in thoughts of the main character) or a more practical study of the differences, not these few superficial stories. I'm glad that Lulu has come to love my country, even dedicated a book to it. I love the book itself, the illustrations, typography, I admire her for her dare to try something new and completely strange to her, but.... I hope the 'old' Lulu will return soon! ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Aan mijn dierbare Nederland,
waar ik dit jaar even
lang heb gewoond als in
mijn dierbare China. Mijn
geschenk aan het land dat mij in de
afgelopen kwarteeuw met open armen
en open geest onthaald heeft.
The title of the book in the Netherlands is: "Nederland, wo ai ni" and in Belgium: "Regenland, wo ai ni"; both books are written in Dutch.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,779,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible