Moose, of course! by Lynn Plourde

Moose, of course! (edition 1999)

by Lynn Plourde, Jim Sollers (Illustrator)

A persistent young boy tries everything he can think of to attract a moose, but it isn't until he is forced to "do nuthin" that he is successful.
Member:Cliffisland
Title:Moose, of course!
Authors:Lynn Plourde
Other authors:Jim Sollers (Illustrator)
Info:Rockport, Me. : Down East Books, c1999.

Work Information

Moose, Of Course! by Lynn Plourde

I thought it was neat to find a book written by a speech-language therapist. I originally just read it because I was curious about how someone in that line of work chooses to create a children's narrative- I was interested in what sorts of rhyme schemes and word choices she selected. She introduces a lot of uncommonly used words, like deuce, sashay, splice, and snare. Through choral-like repetition, she brings these words to life and really solidifies an understanding of their meaning.

I love the way this book encourages memory, rhythm, and forward thinking. The choral response isn't necessarily simple or intuitive-- the kids have to really understand the text in order for them to know how and when to respond in which way.

I'd like to see more of Pleurae's work after reading this. The story is really cute, but I loved how there was subtle teaching throughout it, but not the sort that's so forced and 'in-your-face' that it monopolizes the fun of a good story.

As a very side note:

I think this book would nicely lend itself to memorization in a sort of singing jodie sort of way. As an undergraduate Marine cadet, it was really pleasurable to jodie while we hiked or ran and I think it created a cool space for communal bonding. As spring nears and the Minneapolis Bus-Walk-to-School push increases at our school, I've been trying to figure out how to rewrite military jodies (often rated R, if not X) into a rated G version for the kids. I think this book would be great!

For instance:

As the book progresses, there's a patterned repetition of the sound created by an animal or an object from the former scene, then a quick description of what happened that page.

"Bonkity-bonk-- A bike built for deuce.
Honkity-honk-- A pedaling goose.
Arooooity-roooo--A boy who sashayed."
(etc)

An abbreviated version of the story content, followed by the associated choral responses, would make a great walking jodie to keep the kids having fun and preoccupied during our group walks (i.e., not running away...) ( )
  jamdwhitt | Mar 24, 2015 |

Down East Books

An edition of this book was published by Down East Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,574,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible