Fables Vol. 6: Homelands by Bill Willingham

Fables Vol. 6: Homelands (edition 2006)

by Bill Willingham

Member:bonzo4ever
Title:Fables Vol. 6: Homelands
Authors:Bill Willingham
Info:Vertigo (2006), Paperback, 192 pages

Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands by Bill Willingham

Volume 6 opens up with Jack's adventures after leaving Fabletown in the previous volume, which includes a stint in Hollywood. This is an entertaining little story that is clearly a precursor for the spin-off series about Jack that followed shortly after this (and will probably be a fun read that I will try to get to after I'm done with the main Fables series). Most of the rest of the book is concerned with the other character that took off from Fabletown in Volume 5 -- Boy Blue, who returned to the Homelands in search of his love Red Riding Hood and to seek vengeance against the Adversary. Armed with potent magic tools, he is a one-man wrecking machine bent upon destroying many numbers of the Adversary's army. Back in Fabletown, Prince Charming and the Beast are strengthening their espionage efforts and gearing up for an eventual showdown with the Adversary.

Despite the notable absence of my favorite characters Snow and Bigby (who are both just given a random mention by other characters), I quite enjoyed this addition to the Fables story. We get to see more of the Homelands and we finally meet the Adversary, who is both more sly and more ruthless than one would have suspected. There are also some new and interesting characters introduced, including the Snow Queen and Mowgli, in addition to some well-established characters becoming even further developed, such as Boy Blue, Prince Charming, and the Beast. (Beauty, however, remains fairly bland, with her presence being shown in a few scenes without her actually saying or doing anything.) This book is a lot more like an action or spy novel than the previous volumes and even though those aren't necessarily my favorite genres, Willingham did such a good job keeping up with the character development side of things that I was still interested to keep reading and seeing what would happen to these folks next.

Because I've neglected to mention the illustrations side of Fables in my more recent reviews, I'd like to point out these continue to be top-notch. The scenes and characters are all done in a fairly realistic style, even with all the fantastical elements. I love the use of backgrounds and other small details to indicate which story we are in -- for instance, chopped logs running in a sidebar when in Geppetto's cottage, film strip banners for the opening title of each of Jack's Hollywood chapters, and a caged bluebird atop each page when Boy Blue is in captivity, to name a few. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Aug 9, 2016 |
Little Boy Blue's attempt to stop the Adversary - and the revelation of the Adversary's identity - is quite engaging, following up threads that were sewn as far back as Volume 4. Naturally, after this point, Willingham's story has to veer sharply away from its original course, but the mystery of the Adversary has been drawn out long enough, and it's time to move on to pastures new. ( )
  saroz | May 17, 2016 |
Jack heads to Hollywood to create a trilogy of movies about himself. Little Boy Blue plunges deep into the heart of the Adversary's empire. And in Fabletown, Mowgli is set on Bigby's trail, to track down the Big Bad Wolf and bring him home.

It's a fun story, but there wasn't any character development here. Jack's story was a cute, self-contained one, although I'm sure his surge in popularity in the Mundy world will have consequences. Little Boy Blue's should have been a nail-biter, but there was never any intensity to his adventure. I mean, he's on a suicide mission to assassinate the man who destroyed the lives of everyone he knows, had him tortured, and rules his homeland with an iron fist--and yet, he just makes little quips. I will say that I'm a bit fascinated with the Adversary's Empire, and his lieutenant, the fearsome Snow Queen. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
A humorous interlude shows us what Jack has been up to since leaving Fabletown. Then, Boy Blue secretly returns to the Homelands to rescue his beloved Red Riding Hood and ends up captured by the Adversary himself. Neither Boy Blue nor the Adversary is anything like what we thought they were.

The plot is finally moving forward again! Excellent! Finding out who the Adversary is and how he became the enemy of Fabletown is thrilling. If you've been reading Fables but stopped after Vol. 5 because it was boring, pick it back up again! ( )
  norabelle414 | Dec 9, 2013 |

Medina, LanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jean, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vozzo, DanielColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This volume is dedicated wtih respect and gratitude to Mike Sinner, who traveled these lands with me long before I was priveliged to write about them.
— Bill Willingham
Once upon a time (actually the day after Snow White and her babies were banished to the Farm, and Bigby Wolf left Fabletown forever) a man named Jack set out to find his own bold new direction in life.

Homelands follows Boy Blue on a mission of revenge as he uncovers the Adversary's true identity. Plus, the 2-part story of Jack's adventures in Hollywood and the one-shot story of Mowgli's return to Fabletown.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,443,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible