The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil

by Stephen Collins

"On the island of Here, livin's easy. Conduct is orderly. Lawns are neat. Citizens are clean shaven--and Dave is the most fastidious of them all. Dave is bald, but for a single hair. He loves drawing, his desk job, and the Bangles. But on one fateful day, his life is upended...by an unstoppable (yet pretty impressive) beard" --… (more)

This sounds AMAZING.
  rjcrunden | Feb 2, 2021 |
One of my students brought me her book to read. GBTWE is an interesting social commentary on the ways we try to make everyone conform to society's ideals. The black and white drawings are complex and detailed while looking very simple.

"And ultimately, what is the act of naming, but a special kind...of tidying away?" ( )
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
Shortly after finishing The Gigantic Beard that was Evil I lent it to my flatmate who, seduced by the title, wanted to give it a whirl. A few pages in she turned to me and said "So is this all a metaphor for the modern world? Is it about how the world is ever more connected yet we're all ever more alone? Is it about commercialism and capitalism and celebrity culture? Is it about our obsession with and terror of death?

"Is it an illustrated beat poem (or more accurately a beat poemed series of exquisite pencil drawings) about ennui, about existential crises, about loss and fear and despair? Is it about the pressure to fit in pulling us inwards and the pressure to be different pushing us outwards until something has to give? Is it about the victimisation of Them because They are not Us and the fear of There because There is not Here? Is it about love and loss, birth and death, Life the Universe and Everything?"

"Um, no," I said. "It's about a beard that's gigantic. And evil." ( )
  imlee | Jul 7, 2020 |

"Um, no," I said. "It's about a beard that's gigantic. And evil." ( )
  leezeebee | Jul 6, 2020 |
4.5 ( )
  Fortunesdearest | Apr 10, 2020 |
For Hannah
Beneath the skin of everything is something nobody can know.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,055,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible