Broken Glass by Tabitha Freeman

Broken Glass

by Tabitha Freeman

151926,827 (3.5)None

I liked the way the story could be so tragic and yet have an undertone of hope at the same time. I usually stay far away from sad stories. Before reading a book, I would do all I can to ensure that it doesn’t have a tragedy in it. Even if it does have one, it had to be a small tragedy. But this book has a tragedy in it, and the tragedy with its aftermath is a major point in the plot. When I started to read the story, I presumed that Ava’s losses and downward spiral stemmed from a less tragic reason. Although my presumption was wrong, I don’t regret reading this story.

Broken Glass is a story about one young woman’s journey of healing from her tragic loss. During her journey, she learns to live and love again. Her journey was portrayed in a very realistic manner. Overcoming her grief was a long process that could only come about with the help of the “crazies” in the mental facility and someone special. There was a character with unrequited love, another character with pretty unstable tendencies, and yet another character who was initially a friend but grew cold later on. These characters and many others made Broken Glass an interesting read. There was never a moment of dullness in the story.

There are no big dramas or explosive action in the story. Yet, it remains a captivating read. When I started to read it, I couldn’t put it down until I had completed it. I was absolutely enthralled by the story. I think that what played a major role in holding my attention was the “would-they-or-wouldn’t-they-get-together” question I had. I am a big fan of romances (obviously) and while I understood Ava’s need for healing, a tiny part of me wished she would recover sooner.

The characters were for a lack of better word, crazy. They were varied and interesting. I have no particular favorite, but if I were to choose a character I liked, I would choose Conner. His patience, wise reasoning, and sometimes blunt manner makes him a good influence in Ava’s life during her healing process. Channing is also another character I liked. Despite having a bad history, her sound advice and opinions always came at just the right time when Ava needed them. Most of the other characters were amusing. Their antics added a lighthearted tone in parts of the story when the mood and tone were strongly dark and sorrowful.

Conclusion: It is okay to be a little crazy in the world. Not everyone has to be wholly sane and as illogical as it might sound, being broken glass is okay. I enjoyed reading Broken Glass. Yes, most of the time, the story in Broken Glass was tragic and sad, but there was also hope and light at the end of the dark tunnel.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the author through the Review the Book book review program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  Sugarpeach | Jun 7, 2013 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Tabitha Freeman's book Broken Glass was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Tabitha Freeman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,573,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible