dismiss

Doll Bones by Holly Black

Doll Bones (edition 2013)

by Holly Black (Author)

Zach, Alice, and Poppy, friends from a Pennsylvania middle school who have long enjoyed acting out imaginary adventures with dolls and action figures, embark on a real-life quest to Ohio to bury a doll made from the ashes of a dead girl.
Member:Tip44
Title:Doll Bones
Authors:Holly Black (Author)
Info:Doubleday Children's (2013), Edition: First Edition, First Printing, 256 pages
Rating:*****

Doll Bones by Holly Black

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Readers will savor the tension of both horror stories involving characters seeking ways to put souls to rest. Each story explores the distinctions between fantasy and reality in a deliciously creepy way.
    The Doll in the Garden: A Ghost Story by Mary Downing Hahn (HollyMS)

YA, but really well done. The characters are distincly drawn personalities dealing with real emotions. ( )
  Tip44 | Jun 30, 2020 |
Advance copy. ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 20, 2020 |
THIS is a book worthy of a major award. It has everything: childhood friendships on the cusp of adolescence, a creepy doll, a ghost, and the kind of magic you can believe exists in our world. It honors the power of stories and using imagination to create our own reality. I'm not usually one for scary stories, and I found this to be pleasantly creepy without ever bordering on nightmare material. (I really am a horrible wimp when it comes to these things.) ( )
  amandabock | Dec 10, 2019 |
This book has just the right amount of scary, along with themes of friendship, and coming of age. Holly Blacks dialogue rings true and made me reminisce a bit about my own childhood. My only complaint is that after great character development early in the story and a great start to the friends' adventure,the end moves too fast and ends too abruptly. ( )
  kristennicoson | Dec 7, 2019 |
It’s one part adventure, one part horror, and one part friendship-tale. Join Zach and his friends Alice and Poppy when they sneak out of their homes in the middle of the night to cross a state line, headed for a tiny town in Ohio. Why? To give a proper burial to a doll who just might be made of the bones of a dead girl…

Grown-up portion of review:

Why is this getting so much Newbery buzz? In the acknowledgements, author Holly Black thanked someone for helping her get rid of the boring parts; I'm not so sure that was actually fully accomplished. Also, what were supposed to be the realistic elements of the story (the logistical details of their travels), I found to be unbelievable. Stealing a boat and getting away with it? Breaking into a library without security being alerted? Three kids travelling alone in plain view of police and not being questioned? What was taken out to make the plot run smoothly actually spoiled the story. ( )
  rhowens | Nov 26, 2019 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chaghatzbanian, SoniaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheeler, ElizaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Katherine Rudden, who played the game with me long after we were old enough to stop
Poppy set down one of the mermaid dolls close to the stretch of asphalt road that represented the Blackest Sea.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,651,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible