[(Doll Bones )] [Author: Holly Black]…

[(Doll Bones )] [Author: Holly Black] [Feb-2014] (edition 2014)

by Holly Black (Author)

Zach, Alice, and Poppy, friends from a Pennsylvania middle school who have long enjoyed acting out imaginary adventures with dolls and action figures, embark on a real-life quest to Ohio to bury a doll made from the ashes of a dead girl.
Member:bleclair
Title:[(Doll Bones )] [Author: Holly Black] [Feb-2014]
Authors:Holly Black (Author)
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2014), 247 pages

Doll Bones by Holly Black

Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Readers will savor the tension of both horror stories involving characters seeking ways to put souls to rest. Each story explores the distinctions between fantasy and reality in a deliciously creepy way.
    The Doll in the Garden: A Ghost Story by Mary Downing Hahn (HollyMS)

children's middlegrade fiction; ghost story/adventure (unaccompanied excursion across state lines to a cemetery to appease the spirit of a creepy doll). There is actually enough pirate action and creepiness in here to keep boys (and girls) interested, and it's a pretty good story to boot. Another victory for Holly Black. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
I was kind of hoping for the doll part to be creepier, but of course, I'm an adult. :) The last few chapters were the best part...this may be the one book that I kept with even when I wanted to put it down, so I'm glad that delivered. The ruminations on the end of childhood were pretty great, if quite Stand-by-Me-ish. I would recommend not listening to the audio--it did nothing to endear me to the characters. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
One of the many things that creep me out is dolls. So, when I read the synopsis of Doll Bones, I thought this would be the perfect semi-scary story for me to read during my favorite spooky month. While there were some creepy moments, the story was lacking something necessary for any horror story to scare me. It lacked sense.

As an example, without any spoilers, there is a scene in which something horrible happens and the children think the doll, haunted by the spirit of a little girl, did it. However, why would the doll be the culprit when the doll/spirit wants the kids to help her? I kept waiting for a more plausible explanation. Wouldn't it make more sense if it had been someone or something trying to stop the kids from helping the doll? I thought I was going to get that explanation when the kids come in contact with a woman later on in the story. One of the kids, Zach, thinks there seems to be something a bit off about this woman, somehow. However, nothing else happens with her and the story moves on to the next part. That didn't make any sense either. Why bring it up, through Zach's thoughts, and then not do anything with it? I won't go into detail about what I thought was going to happen or who the woman was because that would include spoilers, but suffice it to say I was a little disappointed.

My other reason for choosing Doll Bones is because I've only ever heard great things about the author, Holly Black. As I said, the book does have its creepy moments, so it wasn't a total dud, but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if those moments made sense in relation to the overall plot. Perhaps the average Middle-grade reader wouldn't notice the plot holes and would instead just enjoy a creepy "Goosebumps"-style story. When it comes to getting kids to read more, this book is still worth a shot, especially if you can find a copy at the library. ( )
  FortifiedByBooks | Jan 5, 2021 |
Cute and creepy YA. ( )
  lclclauren | Sep 12, 2020 |
It's filled with adventure and mystery, not one that you will forget soon. ( )
  aiboy1 | Jul 5, 2020 |

Holly Blackprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chaghatzbanian, SoniaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheeler, ElizaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Katherine Rudden, who played the game with me long after we were old enough to stop
Poppy set down one of the mermaid dolls close to the stretch of asphalt road that represented the Blackest Sea.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,447,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible