HomeGroupsTalkExplore

You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack:…

You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack: Cartoons (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Tom Gauld

"Dryly hilarious, the comics in You're all just jealous of my jetpack perfectly distill cartoonist Tom Gauld's dark humour, impeccable timing, and distinctinve style, all of which have made his work a popular weekly feature in The Guardian. Unexpected pairings such as the Bront?e sisters and video games cross the classic with the contemporary. Gauld gleefully pokes fun at the canon of great authors--Shakespeare, Thoreau, Dickens, and Martin Amis all fall beneath his mighty pen. The real star of the collection, though, is the idea of the novel itself and its many forms, including the difficult novel, the realist novel, the experimental novel, and the never-ending question--is the novel dead? Definitely not for Gauld. Droll literary references abound with piercing observations about human behaviour and whimsical imaginings of the future."--Provided by publisher.… (more)
Member:psutto
Title:You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack: Cartoons
Authors:Tom Gauld
Info:Drawn and Quarterly (2013), Hardcover, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2013 challenge

Work Information

You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack: Cartoons by Tom Gauld (2013)

Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton (nessreader)
    nessreader: scratchy artwork combined with erudite topics; Beaton has more Canadian interest and history, and Gauld mixes up literary memes and silliness

English (19)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (22)
There were a few chuckles to be had from this collection of strips originally published in the Guardian, but some of them felt a bit dated or irrelevant, or even perplexing. I definitely had to Google a few names to figure out what some of the strips were about, which is fine, I guess, but shows me that some of them are trying a bit too hard or a bit too obscure to be fun for a general audience. ( )
  Theriq | Apr 20, 2022 |
I ♥ Tom Gauld ( )
  bibliothecarivs | Feb 3, 2022 |
This is a collection of Tom Gauld’s comic strips for The Guardian, which are humourous takes on literary and/or science fiction topics mostly. I think this is the first time many have been published in the U.S. Some are quite funny, and I am sure some were over my head. I especially liked the one about the psychiatrist's chair and lounge having a late night discussion, and the horror story punchline about British food. 3.75 stars. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
This felt like a glimpse of something potentially great that wasn't quite realised. I like the cleverness, the blending of classic literature and pop culture, the willingness to take either literary content or the habits of literature fans as the premise for a joke, but overall the comics weren't as funny as hoped. I certainly did not get all the literary or cultural references, and liked that aspect of it. If I come across another Gauld collection, I'll try again. ( )
  elenchus | Jun 20, 2021 |
Tom Gauld is a British cartoonist whose work can be found in The Guardian and the New York Times. This collection was first published in 2013 and focuses a lot on odd takes on novels, writers and other literary concerns. If I had to describe these cartoons, I would probably say they remind me of the work of Edward Gorey, both in style and in the type of absurdist humour; one’s enjoyment of the book will depend on one’s tolerance for that kind of cartoon. This was a birthday gift for my husband, and it took him from May to July to read it because he loved it so much that he only let himself read one or two pages at a time; that strikes me as a good recommendation! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Jul 18, 2020 |
For Daphne and Iris
Short story

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,828,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible