You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack:…

You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack: Cartoons (original 2013; edition 2013)

by Tom Gauld

"Dryly hilarious, the comics in You're all just jealous of my jetpack perfectly distill cartoonist Tom Gauld's dark humour, impeccable timing, and distinctinve style, all of which have made his work a popular weekly feature in The Guardian. Unexpected pairings such as the Bront?e sisters and video games cross the classic with the contemporary. Gauld gleefully pokes fun at the canon of great authors--Shakespeare, Thoreau, Dickens, and Martin Amis all fall beneath his mighty pen. The real star of the collection, though, is the idea of the novel itself and its many forms, including the difficult novel, the realist novel, the experimental novel, and the never-ending question--is the novel dead? Definitely not for Gauld. Droll literary references abound with piercing observations about human behaviour and whimsical imaginings of the future."--Provided by publisher.… (more)
Member:psutto
Title:You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack: Cartoons
Authors:Tom Gauld
Info:Drawn and Quarterly (2013), Hardcover, 160 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2013 challenge

You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack: Cartoons by Tom Gauld (2013)

Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton (nessreader)
    nessreader: scratchy artwork combined with erudite topics; Beaton has more Canadian interest and history, and Gauld mixes up literary memes and silliness

English (15)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
Tom Gauld is a British cartoonist whose work can be found in The Guardian and the New York Times. This collection was first published in 2013 and focuses a lot on odd takes on novels, writers and other literary concerns. If I had to describe these cartoons, I would probably say they remind me of the work of Edward Gorey, both in style and in the type of absurdist humour; one’s enjoyment of the book will depend on one’s tolerance for that kind of cartoon. This was a birthday gift for my husband, and it took him from May to July to read it because he loved it so much that he only let himself read one or two pages at a time; that strikes me as a good recommendation! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Jul 18, 2020 |
Una meravella. No se m'acut afegir res més. ( )
  acornet | Mar 22, 2020 |
Full review to come! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
A collection of Gauld's comics on mostly literary themes. It was a little hit-and-miss for me, but the hits were hilarious and I love his illustrating style. ( )
  electrascaife | Jun 6, 2019 |
Meh - there's a small overlap in the Venn diagram of "jokes about smart things" and "actually funny jokes", and these cartoons fall out of that range fairly often. ( )
  rorytoohey | Mar 1, 2019 |
For Daphne and Iris
Short story

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,006,824 books! | Top bar: Always visible