After the Music Stopped: The Financial…

After the Music Stopped: The Financial Crisis, the Response, and the Work… (2013)

by Alan S. Blinder

Many fine books on the financial crisis were first drafts of history--books written quickly to fill the need for immediate understanding. Alan S. Blinder, former vice chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, held off, taking the time to understand the crisis and create a truly comprehensive and coherent narrative of how the worst economic crisis in postwar American history happened, what the government did to fight it, and what we must do from here--mired as we still are in its wreckage. Blinder shows how the U.S. financial system, grown far too complex for its own good--and too unregulated for the public good--experienced a perfect storm beginning in 2007. When America's financial structure crumbled, the damage proved to be not only deep, but wide. It took the crisis for the world to discover, to its horror, just how truly interconnected--and fragile--the global financial system is. Blinder offers clear-eyed answers to the questions still before us, even if some of the choices ahead are as divisive as they are unavoidable.--From publisher description.… (more)

Didn't like it. Seemed like most of what I read was covered in other books, but then I have read more than a dozen books now on the financial crisis. This is Alan Blinder's account of the financial crisis . It seemed stale. It certainly would be of interest to financial types, but too much of the story was based on his view of what went on during the crisis rather than actual facts or reporting. I can't say the book was very insightful in its analysis. That said, it would make a good reference book. How about as a work of nonfiction? The writing was plodding, and in some cases, deadly dull. The book would benefit from some narrative storytelling. www.tellingdigitalstories.com ( )
  Mtatge | May 8, 2019 |
A comprehensive and opinionated account of the causes, consequences and responses to the financial crisis. It is particularly focused on monetary policy, the financial rescue, and financial reform--although it also covers fiscal policy, Europe, and a certain amount of the politics of the situation. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
5114. After the Music Stopped The Financial Crisis, the Response, and the Work Ahead, by Alan S. Blinder (read 25 Jan 2014) This is a book by a wise professor of economics and finance operating out of Princeton. In lucid prose he sets forth the events leading to the financial crisis which loomed so threateningly in September 2008, and what was done to avoid a major global meltdown. One shutters to think what would have happened to this country had the people opposing the measures taken to avoid a great depression been successful. This is as good a history of the financial events of our times as I have read, and it is actually not hard to read. ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Jan 25, 2014 |
  jasonlf | Feb 23, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,182,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible