Fire by Sebastian Junger

Fire (2001)

by Sebastian Junger

In a barren, arranged marriage to an amateur swami who seeks enlightenment through celibacy, Radha's life takes an irresistible turn when her beautiful young sister-in-law seeks to free herself from the confines of her own loveless marriage and [falls] into the supple embrace of Radha."--Container.

Excellent collection of his shorter work. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Was browsing through the titles at my local library and came across this one which is when I realized that I had read it way back in 2001-02. Got this when I was a member of a book club.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |
  kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |
Junger is a terrific journalist. He writes on a level that you can understand even if you don't know much about the subject at hand. He also is able to present a very balanced look at his subjects. This was most apparent in his joint article on Cyprus. By the time I finished, I was disgusted with both the Greek Cypriots and the Turkish Cypriots. Neither was willing to budge toward a peaceful solution and the result is complete stasis. It reminded me a lot of our current Congress! All the articles were very informative, but at the same time very accessible. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 10, 2014 |
I was dinking around in my records and discovered I had listened to this book in 2006. For the life of me I don't remember a damn thing about it and can't find any notes (an anomaly) except I marked I had enjoyed it. I'm not sure whether that says more about the book or me. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
The ten pieces in this collection of magazine articles, one of which won a National Magazine Award for Reporting, have the authentic tang of dispatches from the front. ... Most remarkable are Junger’s accounts of such places where all moral referents are severely out of alignment, having only hours before shifted from everyday life and begun a whirling descent into madness. ... Deeply affecting stories of a ruthless world, natural and man-made, that will leave you stunned and distraught.
added by Roycrofter | editKirkus' Reviews (Aug 1, 2001)

Sebastian Jungerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anderson, ScottContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Ellis Settle, 1924-1993

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,090,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible