An Atheist in the FOXhole: A Liberal's…

An Atheist in the FOXhole: A Liberal's Eight-Year Odyssey Inside the Heart…

by Joe Muto

I wanted to like it more In 2012, a supposed "mole" at FOX news leaked materials to another site. This is the story of the man behind the leaks and how he came to work for the network, despite his liberal leanings.

I thought it was going to be solely about what led up to his leaking, but instead we are treated to alternate viewpoints of the "past" and his physical removal from the building. He needed a job and decided to put aside his views to work for the antithesis of MSNBC (which didn't exist yet when he was hired). Muto works his way up the ladder to eventually become an associate producer. Not bad consider he doesn't agree with FOX.

The reader is given details as to how the network (and probably networks in general) work. From the mundane editing and script-writing to the times of crazy news stories like the election or the Michael Jackson trial, etc. Muto writes about various bigwigs at Fox, from Bill O'Reilly (who he eventually works for), Glenn Beck, etc. None of this will change people's minds about the news people at Fox: you already love them or hate them, depending on your political views.

Interspersed with this are short little chapters that discuss the very end of his time at FOX, with the painful discussions with co-workers, lawyers and the removal from the building with security, plus his meeting with editors from the site Gawker. I had thought this is what the book was about and was disappointed we see so little of it (although that certainly might be due to legal issues or whatever).

The author has a fully engaging style, but the content bored me. I'm not in media and have no interested in working in a news network. I also thought the text was going to have a different focus. Personally I think it would have been better served in a fully linear, chronological order, but certainly some might not be bothered with it.

It was a disappointment for me. I had wanted to read it for quite a while ever since it came out. Luckily I bought it cheap. FOX haters/liberals will likely enjoy this. If you only have a passing interest in FOX itself, politics, etc., definitely recommend the library. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
Very interesting - not salacious or trashy. I thought it was fair and balanced, more so than Muto's former employer. ( )
  TerryLewis | Jun 12, 2017 |
Enjoyed this book a lot. I don't think we'll hear from this author again but the book gave a behind the scenes look at Fox News -- scandalous what they get away with. It was amusing in places but overall I think it gave provided some serious insight into what Faux News does to news and how the operation is run. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Sep 3, 2016 |

The “Fox Mole”—whose dispatches for Gawker made headlines in Businessweek, The Hollywood Reporter, and even on The New York Times website—delivers a funny, opinionated memoir of his eight years at the unfair, unbalanced Fox News Channel working as an associate producer for Bill O'Reilly.

Imagine needing to hide your true beliefs just to keep a job you hated. Now imagine your job was producing the biggest show on the biggest cable news channel in America, and you’ll get a sense of what life was like for Joe Muto. As a self-professed bleeding-heart, godless liberal, Joe’s viewpoints clearly didn’t mesh with his employer—especially his direct supervisor, Bill O’Reilly.

So he did what any ambitious, career-driven person would do. He destroyed his career, spectacularly. He became Gawker’s so-called Fox Mole.

Joe’s posts on Gawker garnered more than 2.5 million hits in one week. He released footage and information that Fox News never wanted exposed, including some extremely unflattering footage of Mitt Romney. The dragnet closed around him quickly—he was fired within thirty-six hours—so his best material never made it online. Unfortunate for his career as the Fox Mole, but a treasure trove for book readers.

An Atheist in the FOXhole has everything that liberals and Fox haters could desire: details about how Fox’s right-wing ideology is promoted throughout the channel; why specific angles and personalities are the only ones broadcasted; the bizarre stories Fox anchors actually believed (and passed on to the public); and tales of behind-the-scenes mayhem and mistakes, all part of reporting Fox’s version of the news.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:24 -0400)

The "Fox Mole"--whose dispatches for Gawker made headlines in Businessweek, The Hollywood Reporter, and even The New York Times--delivers a funny, opinionated memoir of his eight years at the Fox News Channel as an associate producer for Bill O'Reilly. Imagine needing to hide your true beliefs just to keep a job you hated. Now imagine your job was producing the biggest show on the biggest cable news channel in America, and you'll get a sense of what life was like for Joe Muto. As a self-professed bleeding-heart, godless liberal, Joe's viewpoints clearly didn't mesh with his employer. So he became Gawker's so-called Fox Mole and released footage and information that Fox News never wanted exposed. He was fired within 36 hours, so his best material never made it online, but this book provides further details about how Fox's right-wing ideology is promoted throughout the channel; why specific angles and personalities are the only ones broadcast; the bizarre stories Fox anchors actually believed (and passed on to the public); and tales of behind-the-scenes mayhem and mistakes, all part of reporting Fox's version of the news.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,860,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible