The End of the Fucking World

by Charles Forsman

Fantagraphics is proud to publish this edition of TeotFW in conjunction with the 2017 television drama on UK's Channel 4 (with distribution via Netflix in the U.S.) Originally released to critical and public acclaim in 2013, Charles Forsman's graphic novel debut follows James and Alyssa, two teenagers living a seemingly typical teen experience as they face the fear of coming adulthood. Forsman tells their story through each character's perspective, jumping between points of view with each chapter. But quickly, this somewhat familiar teenage experience takes a more nihilistic turn as James's character exhibits a rapidly forming sociopathy that threatens both of their futures. He harbors violent fantasies and begins to act on them, while Alyssa remains as willfully ignorant for as long as she can, blinded by young love.… (more)
    Papillon: A Gothic Romance Novella by Sonia Palermo (Anonymous user)
    Entangled by Cat Clarke (Anonymous user)

English (7)  Spanish (1)  All languages (8)
So many people I know are raving about this show, so I thought I’d check out the graphic novel. Subjectively? I don’t care for it. At all. It’s just not my taste and I found it fell flat. Objectively I can see it’s intrigue: dark, almost paradoxical, and the simple art style amplified the twists the narration takes. I can see how others would be taken in with the story.
But I just don’t like it. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ ( )
  deborahee | Feb 23, 2024 |
I read this book listening to Beck's "Mellow Gold." I thought it was really fitting, but I've seen better white trash stories elsewhere. ( )
  AvANvN | Apr 19, 2022 |
My review of this book can be found on my Youtube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Jun 17, 2020 |
I'm really glad I picked up this comic after watching the Netflix adaptation. As it was, I was more than a little reluctant to dive into a show that seemingly empathized with a violent white male incel. The comic, which is mostly lacking the heart and humor of the tv show, would have tipped the scales against - and I might have missed out on what turned out to be one of my all-time favorite series.

The series is infinitely better than the comic; writer Charlie Covell took a bare bones idea of a story and transformed it into something truly spectacular. Comic book Alyssa is a lot less angry than her live action counterpart - and James, much more unequivocally a psychopath - which makes their relationship feel icky, hard to watch, and impossible to root for. The satanic elements feel superfluous; men hurt women every day, no supernatural explanation required. I also love that the Netflix series continues beyond the end of the comic book, exploring the impact of trauma on those touched by it - physically, emotionally, and interpersonally. The series just feels richer, more complex and nuanced, and has a humanity that I didn't get from the comic.

It's hard to know if this is just a case of misplaced expectations not being met, or if I would have felt the same if I'd experienced the comic book on its own.

What I do know, is that the comic book? Tragically Frodo-less.

http://www.easyvegan.info/img/teotfw-frodo.gif ( )
  smiteme | Feb 3, 2020 |
An unsettling read on a Friday lunch break. ( )
  jrmypttrsn | Sep 5, 2019 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,084,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible