In the house upon the dirt between the lake…

In the house upon the dirt between the lake and the woods (edition 2013)

by Matt Bell

Escaping the busy confusion of his homeland and moving to an almost-uninhabited lake shore where he plans on living simply and raising a family, a man descends into rage, obsession, and an abstract sense of reality when his wife suffers multiple miscarriages.
Member:SandyDavenport
Title:In the house upon the dirt between the lake and the woods
Authors:Matt Bell
Info:New York : Soho Press, Inc., [2013]
Collections:Finished

Work Information

In the House Upon the Dirt Between the Lake and the Woods by Matt Bell

3.5 stars I guess. Like the ambition and energy, though the mythological or fantastical story-universe isn't my favorite destination. ( )
  AlexThurman | Dec 26, 2021 |
This book is so surreal. Also, reading most of it on about four hours of sleep makes it even more so. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
Hoo, boy, how do I even begin to talk about this book? I could try saying that it's about a man and a woman in, well, a house upon the dirt, between a wood where there's a bear and a lake where there's apparently a squid, and they want to have children, but all the woman's pregnancies keep failing, and then...

Nah. That doesn't give you the sense of what this book is at all, and honestly I have no idea how to even finish that sentence after the "and then..." Better, maybe, to say that it has the feel of a dark fairy tale, or a strange mythology, or, better still, some kind of dream that seems to be made up of metaphors I don't feel like I entirely understand, shaped into a whole that I feel like I might sort of understand if I glance at it sideways, but maybe not. It's fascinating, though, in its own surreal way, and the writing is impressive. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what the hell I just read, but I do think I'm glad to have read it. ( )
2 vote bragan | Sep 2, 2020 |
Someone read this and tell me what I just read. ( )
1 vote trinker | Jan 9, 2020 |
I enjoyed In the House Upon the Dirt Between the Lake and the Woods, but I don't know if I really liked it. What I mean by that is I'm not sure I'd read it twice. The reason for that is because it's a fever dream. Specifically, the fever dream of a child dying of brain cancer who fills his time reading fairy tales. All the old elements of myth are there but at times they seem present almost for their own sake, the gore heaped on to shock, the logic of the world indiscernible. It makes for a very interesting journey, and the book explores important issues revolving around fatherhood, and the disconnect between what it means to be a father and what it means to be a man. It certainly makes one empathize with the plight of fathers everywhere, if nothing else. I can't say I cared for the coda, either, which added nothing to the book save for unnecessary confusion.

All that aside, it's a fantastic journey. Very interesting, with an ephemeral atmosphere. If you enjoy fairy tales, you'll probably take something away from The House. ( )
  MFSullivan | Nov 17, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,195,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible